It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:34 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: GenCon revealing
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:47 pm 

We already discussed these a little, or was it in french section, not sure, but yes they've been overshadowed by the big mastodonth.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:33 pm 

Absolutely incredible looking mini (or should it be "maxi"?) when you see it in person. Can't wait to see how it performs on the tabletop and what it's mechanics are like.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:38 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

actually I am going to be really totally fascinated how the Bastion boys are going to design the game mechanics for this model.

:shock: it looks like with one sweep of the sickle an entire unit could be, and should be wiped out.

Creating game balance for Mega models is perhaps the hardest challenge for a game designer, hopefully this model has some magical Achilles' heel.

it's actually a very scary challenge,:
make and model to dumb down to work with game balance and no one will be willing to pay dollars to purchase, or the points to field the model.

make the model to powerful, and then all the games strategy is lost, and whom fields the monsters win. like those sci-fi games with a heavy armored vehicles that make all your units of soldiers practically unnecessary, and the game always ends up the battle of Titan's.

Yet from a fantasy collectors point of view, having a large model for each army is always pleasing to the eye a centerpiece for gaming table. But it's as if you have to release a counter monster, at the same time, so everyone doesn't cry no fair nor fair.

I love there models and the Bastion team had produced a very original and beautifully crafted model but it does give me some trepidation For the following reasons:.

up until this model the game has been a historical based lightly fantasy game genre. I like playing several games just with historical models leaving out the magical elements for a more hundred years war gameing . my hope has been that they would expand the historical lines and that would draw in more historical wargamers who don't mind a little fantasy add-ons.

When you start bringing in large monsters you move the genre into a more high fantasy realm, which I think is okay but I believe this game is flexible enough to give historical gamers enough models and units to play historically based games, and to have the fantasy elements also and therefore more high fantasy players.

There is so much rich history that I'm longing to see on the battlefield before I see mystical creatures. The models themselves being so historically accurate and scaled properly not with the cartoon heads of other gaming systems has been one of the drawing cards of the game.

The more freakish and hellish the monsters, the more you depart from the feel of realism and the more tendency to make future models have bigger weapons and you start distorting the lines of reality, and again find yourself in a high fantasy world where anything can go and a guy with a 10 foot sword, is normal.

even the model next to a billmen makes it look like they're from a different gaming systems.

I hope to have a few all fantasy armies for Exillis, but I also want more historical armies with a small fantasy element, ( and history actually had many low-level sorcerers, or psychics that accompany a general to battle)

so this is not an attempt to put a wet blanket on this beautiful model, but to refresh the vision of making history come alive in a new way in the exillis world.

The Spanish, Germans, Muslim kingdoms, French and English ,European heroes, the large barbaric northern tribes, with their savage animal cults, long the flight, on the Exillis battlefield.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:35 am 
Imperator Inter Homines

yosefbender wrote:
Creating game balance for Mega models is perhaps the hardest challenge for a game designer, hopefully this model has some magical Achilles' heel.

I'm not the one designing it, but one word:

Bulk.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:56 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

I've also heard the defensive stats may be low.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:26 pm 
Imperator Inter Homines

Indeed. Do you see a gigantic demon, wielding a 60 foot scythe-on-a-tree quickly enough to parry with it? Jumping sideways to dodge tiny, tiny sword pricks? And blocking is out of the question, what with no shield and all.
So, I don't see it. What he's gonna have is a lot of passive defenses, a la strength and toughness. And a lot of hitpoints.

(Not the official design, just what I expect it to be)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:28 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

Charlemagne wrote:
Indeed. Do you see a gigantic demon, wielding a 60 foot scythe-on-a-tree quickly enough to parry with it? Jumping sideways to dodge tiny, tiny sword pricks? And blocking is out of the question, what with no shield and all.
So, I don't see it. What he's gonna have is a lot of passive defenses, a la strength and toughness. And a lot of hitpoints.

(Not the official design, just what I expect it to be)

who said mangonel target? :?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:52 pm 
Imperator Inter Homines

MadNes wrote:
who said mangonel target? :?

Well, I didn't, but I did say bulk ;)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:34 pm 

When fighting this thing and you miss you fail.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:23 pm 

Agreed. This thing will be beatable, and I'm betting mangonels will go a long way towards that. And offensively, it seems to me that it would be comparable to a mangonel, just a close combat version of it. While it may not always hit, when it does it is absolutely BRUTAL.

Just a guess, though.

And to reply to Yosef, I agree and disagree. Yes, this model thrusts the game into a much higher form of fantasy. But the last few releases have been mostly historical, non-fantasy for the most part. The Serjants were hardcore historical, albeit in the slightly altered Ex Illis sort of history with their Mongol influence. The Mangonel and the Mendicants are also very historical, even if game-wise their mechanics are magically influenced, and finally the archangels could be considered historical, depending on who you talked to (though I agree they tend slightly more towards the fantasy side of things). I think if we look at the balance of releases, historical wargaming has seen a stronger emphasis than fantasy, at least model wise. The game mechanics will almost always have a fantasy air about them, I am guessing.

So now, as we look forward, we have this goliath of a model and some beastmen to look forward to. Obviously both of these are strongly fantastical, and while I am very excited for both, like Yosef I would love to see the history of this game delved into quite a bit more. So much of the background is incredibly interesting! Also, there are some generic units I would like to see made, such as some cavalry that can work with any army. Or if you still want a somewhat fantastical bent, what about exploring the return of Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table a little more?

Though, to be honest, I am very excited about everything this company has been releasing, so as long as you keep pumping models out, I'm going to keep loving them!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:31 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

So did anyone else notice what looked like a new model of the Decurion in the showcase outside the Dealer's hall?

http://www.beastsofwar.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/ex-illis-angel.jpg

Could it be variant sculpts at last?

~Joe

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:52 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

I like the look of that one! Would be cool to have a couple of different poses for your army

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:34 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

It could also be the unreleased first model that they made, to test the plastic molding process. I remember seeing armies of angels to do demoes, on pictures, before the starter was released.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:41 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

dont thing that look would be hard to accomplish with the current kit and a bit of green stuff.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:11 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

Yeah that wouldn't be to hard

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:23 am 
Lead Spammer / Spammeur en chef

if i remember well that was the first sculpt of the decurion. wondered if we could get it, no answer

Part du principe que j'ai toujours raison, tu gagneras du temps
Life is a game, play it your way

http://ex-illis.com/wikipl/Category:Cadwe

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:00 pm 
Stupor Mundi

thou shalt not speak of Gus Chinois, for he is the shady figure looming over the creation and the destruction of our universe...

Friedrich
PS: no, that ain't part of the official story, at least as far as the official story knows ;)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:45 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

Here's the big guy as seen at Strategicon. A bit blurry, but let me just say that the model looks AMAZING.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:47 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

I wonder if you can make it so his arms can detach for storage otherwise it's going to take up a lot of space in a transport box

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:18 am 
Lead Spammer / Spammeur en chef

i'll mega magnet them i think, else it'll break too fast

Part du principe que j'ai toujours raison, tu gagneras du temps
Life is a game, play it your way

http://ex-illis.com/wikipl/Category:Cadwe

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:31 pm 
I could not be a traitor to Edward, for I was never his subject.

the weapon is built for easy removal :)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:42 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

there is so much good engineering in the models, removing the weapon will be the main obstacle in good storage thanks Bastion for thinking ahead :)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:12 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

I can confirm that the weapon removes easily, and when it's time to use it you can simply re attach it without glue. Works great.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:18 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

I'm sorry of someone else brought this up, but did anyone mention these...

I didn't remember seeing them at the con till I saw the pic on beasts of war.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:05 pm 

Yah they were brought up, but I think this photo is sharper.

OfflineProfile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next