It is currently Mon May 28, 2018 1:08 am

Post subject: Ex-illis will be back on Kickstarter!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:04 pm 
I could not be a traitor to Edward, for I was never his subject.

We are currently working on a Kickstarter project to bring back the Ex-illis game. Beginning soon (hopefully early november) we will start offering a whole new “classic” version with a paper rulebook for Ex-illis that will allow people to play in a more usual way, and of course, miniatures will be compatible with both this new game and the digital version. As such, we will still continue to support the PC / Mac game and we will publish a new build for the iOS version soon.

To open up the game to a wider audience, we decided to lift the DRM on the digital version of the game for everyone. This means anyone will be able to play the game with any miniatures without having to register it first. This should ensure the accessibility of the game and allow the digital community to grow with the new “classical” player base.

To all our old friends, thanks for your support over the years and to the newcomers, welcome to Ex-illis!

Chinchilla Games

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Ex-illis will be back on Kickstarter!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:58 pm 

This is great news! I've never backed a Kickstarter, but I'll definitely back this one. I still play the game and enjoy it. Look forward to more detail as it comes out.

The opinions in common to all the Cathari are these. This world, and all the things that are in it, were created by the devil. All the sacraments of the Church, to wit, the sacrament of baptism by material water, are false sacraments.
-- Reinerius Sacco

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:57 am 

God be praised! Long live the Ex illis! Montjoie! Saint-Denis!

I never lost hope in return of this game!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:36 am 
Lead Spammer / Spammeur en chef

Well i asked all my questions on the french side already, really happy for the comeback, the end was too brutal and weird.

As i was deleting spams on the forums, i saw an interesting post: why don't you ask vets with large army to make vids for you? they can help pretest the system

Part du principe que j'ai toujours raison, tu gagneras du temps
Life is a game, play it your way

http://ex-illis.com/wikipl/Category:Cadwe

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:22 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

[quote="William Wallace"]

To open up the game to a wider audience, we decided to lift the DRM on the digital version of the game for everyone. This means anyone will be able to play the game with any miniatures without having to register it first. This should ensure the accessibility of the game and allow the digital community to grow with the new “classical” player base.
/quote]

Playing a dice and paper version would be beneficial for Me in designing my own units and exploring new ideas, but ultimately the digital version is why I love EXills and why I so ardently supported this company and game with countless hours of posting on forums and promoting at game stores.

I know if you streamlined the digital version removing the needless graphics and replacing them with simple block battle report type graphics, and then made it possible to custom compile a unit or a hero by drop and dragging all the skill options available to the game into a tree that had the appropriate slot at each level, you could pump out dozens of new units just with the existing skill sets.

Although I would want the Exillis world and its models to continue to be produced and this game world grow., if the game system allowed, players with large collections in other game systems, to add their units to the digital game system you would have a lot of people trying it out and realizing how much better playing with digital rules are and joining the Exillis family, and starting to buy models for the existing line.

Open source strategies have been quite successful in the technology world, and look at Pathfinder as an open-source technology gaming system has become the most popular role-playing game.

As William Wallace would say "unite the clans"

In other words create something everyone will see a purpose in

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:17 am 

Is it possible to still get the pc program downloaded and reinstalled ? I deleted it way back now but now I have to dig out my minis and try a couple of games again.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:34 am 
Messenger of God

Yes PC/Mac version is still available and working.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:52 pm 

Will be there any changes in PC version?
Because we love and play EX especially due to PC advantages (easy to learn, levelling, skills...). It would be shame, if the experience system (for example) will be canceled. I don´t really care about paper version (that was joke. Of course I care, everything from EX must be good ;) !), PC game is priority to me...

Will be there any new units/factions? (Bit early, I know :P ) Perhaps Bohemia, to reward loyal fans from Czech Republic? :D And more Frenchmen for their king! :D "Vive le roi Philippe IV. Le Bel!"

I am really mad with joy, that you are back ;)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:50 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

I'm GEEEEEEKED

curious how long this has been in the works.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:29 pm 
Messenger of God

More than a year...

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:54 pm 

jm2 had asked on the French language portion of the forum:

"Le Kickstarter a pour but de financer de nouvelle figs..."

Which was answered in the negative I believe. This is fine for me, I can go either way on this for the Kickstarter.

But it raises the question for me: Are you able to discuss your long-term plans for miniatures, or possible plans for miniatures? Or are miniatures no longer in the picture?

I'm cool either way, since the fluff and the game itself are my main interest, just curious.

The opinions in common to all the Cathari are these. This world, and all the things that are in it, were created by the devil. All the sacraments of the Church, to wit, the sacrament of baptism by material water, are false sacraments.
-- Reinerius Sacco

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:17 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

MadNes wrote:
I'm GEEEEEEKED

curious how long this has been in the works.

glad to See Madness is still a part of the family ;)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:12 pm 
I could not be a traitor to Edward, for I was never his subject.

The kickstarter will be used to finance paper rules, but mostly to bring new blood in the family which could allow us to progress further, perhaps creating more miniatures if we are successful.

In the case we create more miniatures, it's a possibility that the PC version might not get all the eye candy we were putting in (all the different animations and sfx) to reduce the cost of adding new units. That will also depend on how much we are successful and on which points.

We will see :)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:02 pm 

For me the graphics are mostly a non-factor, but my guess is that overall it would be better to be rid of the graphics in favor of either a purely text based system or simple icons.

I think the graphics fed into the "why not just play a video game, why even have miniatures" crowd. Of course, anyone who really tried Ex-Illis knows that you need the miniatures, they are a must. But I think that dropping the graphics helps drive home the need for miniatures and focusing your vision on the tabletop.

-- Reinerius Sacco

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:21 pm 

(First : I hope my english is not become too bad and you understand what I mean)

Quote:
But I think that dropping the graphics helps drive home the need for miniatures and focusing your vision on the tabletop.

I think it's true.
Just using icons for initiative, resolving actions in text and "dice" can be a good thing and perhaps cheaper than full animation.

The really good thing in Ex Illis (I think) is the actions are resolved by the computer, and players can concentrate on gameplay, without doing some rule braining or mathematical operations.

Paper rules must (I hope) attract new players. If some background is on the rulebook it could be a great bonus.

Fournisseur de figurines ExIllis peintes : Atelier du Mercenaire

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:36 pm 

I'm very happy to see you guys back in action! :D
But I'm very sceptical about the kickstarter, let me tell you why:

First of all: Ex illis crew has made some mayor slip-ups in the past: Going bust. Communication stops for months. Promised version 1.4 that never made it. The iOs 5 update fundraiser didn't bring the donators anything.
Why would anyone (except for us fanboys) trust you with their money?
A big investment from the Ex illis crew is needed to show their commitment: new artwork, models ready for tooling, new features; anything except for production and polishing should already be done by the start of the kickstarter campaign.

Ex illis is known for it's unique rule-keeping software, by taking away the DRM, you are practically giving it away for free. The revolutionary software is supposed to be better than paper based rule-systems, but you're contradicting this by making your own paper rules. :?

You're starting an campaign for paper rules, there already exist hundreds of these, and you expect people to pay money for it? Will this rule-system be more advanced, streamlined or realistic to attract hordes of paying new players? And is it as frustrating as other rules so these new players are eventually pushed to play using the rule-keeper software? :twisted:
I expect the software will disappear as it is more expensive to maintain than the "amazing" paper based rules. Keeping two rule-systems alive is not something I expect to happen, as you've already let the game die once.

The more I think about the more I get the feeling these classic rules are not going to work for Ex illis.

Meanwhile we've progressed into a time where even 10 and 60 year olds own an iPhone. The anticipated succes of the Golem Arcana kickstarter shows clearly that the market for digital rulekeeping has grown.
At this time a kickstarter for Android based software would seem better to attract new players. Combined with some stunning miniatures and marketed as an expansion: two new Italian or Spanish units/factions for example.

I'm don't want to be a big meany. I want Ex illis to succeed. So I'm just asking questions, they shouldn't be hard to answer with this being worked on for more than a year. :P

Lord Ok

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:24 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

I think what they really need to do... is do what they think is best.

Let them run their business, lets just play the game.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:01 am 
Messenger of God

I personnally want to be transparent with you guys. We are doing this out of passion. We want our baby to succeed and we want to find a way to make Ex illis a popular and living game. This is our goal.

To explain more why we do this Kickstarter, Ex illis "digital" is (still) a very niche product. It is probably one of the best game i've played but almost nobody knows about it.

Those who knows (you) were having a hard time convincing others because people see this as a video game and video games are a dime a dozen nowadays. Even if iPads are a lot more common now, people with iPads are flooded with games and because of that, it would take a tremendous amount of money to make people notice and understand our game. Without that marketing push we'd be shouting in such a big crowd that nobody would hear us.

Let's face it, money drives development on everything and it is also true for Ex illis. We have something around 10 models done and ready to send to manufacturers and many more concepts, but producing one of these on the digital platform costs so much that it would take 10-20 times our peak player base to support it. Bastion sank under that weight, so doing the same thing wouldn't give us, nor you, much.

That's why we're doing the Kickstarter for paper rules. If we can get enough people to play our game, one way or another, buy our miniatures and now buy our book, we would be able to start the machine again. We thinks this is the right approach if we want to achieve that.

With or without the Kickstarter, it is still our intention to provide support for the "digital" game servers for as long as there are players playing the game and this, I think, shows the commitment we have toward you guys and this game.

Hope this clears things a bit about the "future" of Ex illis.

Thanks

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:19 am 

I won't be supporting the kickstarter if it is just the paper rules. Sorry not what I want at all.

Golem Arcana seems to be offering what Ex Illis once was and should still be.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:24 pm 
Messenger of God

To put this simply, paper rules are there to achieve critical mass so we can develop miniatures for both games in the future.

Kickstarter is going to offer pledges with miniatures without the book, so you'll be able to buy miniatures alone and play only the digital version with them if you want.

I'm aware that most of you are already fans and don't really need new minis. Even if you guys don't pledge to the kickstarter, the best way to help us is to tell people about it and get as many people to play ex illis as you can.

Now back to work ;)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:29 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

I'm all aboard for the Kickstarter. I've got a ton of Ex-illis minis on my shelf itching for a battle.

Yeah, the book isn't high on my need list when we have the pc game to fall back on, but it will help me expand the local Ex-illis scene. More important to me is how the book release will increase the game's exposure and make it more likely that I will get my arthurian armies some day in the future.

And if nothing else, it gives Nes and I a chance to rekindle our Midwest rivalry.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:45 pm 

Will be there any new articles in Wiki? I love the old ones (and they are huge reason, why I buy EX), but I read them "there and back again" and whole Wiki is dead for long time... May I look forward to some ressurection?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:16 pm 
Messenger of God

Player Wiki is closed because it was a MEGA spam magnet. With nobody getting paid to clean this up, it was literally Gb of storage wasted.

There's still a lot of stories to tell that didn't go out with Bastion closing. As for the technical side, it is in the plan to update units stats and abilities with "classical" and "digital" version together.

Again, the amount of information we can release will depend on the kind of response we get from the Kickstarter and the community but that's certainly on the table.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:25 pm 

This is incredibly exciting news. I however, am most looking forward to the ability to play with any models I have. My battles will suddenly get a lot bigger.
Is the timeframe for this feature to co-incide with the kickstarter launch, or will it come at another time?

II Kings 6:16

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:48 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

Monkeyden wrote:

And if nothing else, it gives Nes and I a chance to rekindle our Midwest rivalry.

This really is the most important part of the entire kickstarter. :lol:

And this time, maybe I will actually make it out to Cincy

OfflineProfile