It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:20 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Announcement
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:59 am 
Stupor Mundi

Hello everyone,

Right after the holidays, a series of event led us to the conclusion that a shutdown of operations, at least a temporary one, was needed. While sales are on the rise, communities are growing and our distribution network is improving everyday, it became apparent that we couldn’t continue with our current financial structure. The staff working at Bastion, myself included, has been let go, but it remains our collective aim to work together again once more on Ex illis with a new financial partner. Efforts are being made on that front, but as you can imagine, we are not in a position where we can freely discuss these things yet.

Despite this news, the servers will continue to stay up for the time being. This, and the fate of the Demon Horde box set, is of course intimately related to the arrival of new financial partners. While the future as a company is still uncertain, we have pledged to the player community that the servers would stay up and running and we intend to keep this promise.

This has been an emotional time for all of us at Bastion. We have been working hard over the last three years to create a game we are truly proud of, working hard in the past few months to avoid this situation, and now that it became unavoidable, we are still working hard to set it straight. You are welcome to write us at [email protected], but I apologize in advance if we do not have the time to answer to them individually.

Friedrich

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Announcement
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:01 am 
Lead Spammer / Spammeur en chef

Well, at least we have the official word

kind of disgusted by the lack of communication here

Part du principe que j'ai toujours raison, tu gagneras du temps
Life is a game, play it your way

http://ex-illis.com/wikipl/Category:Cadwe

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:06 am 

I hope the best for all of the individuals who brought this game into the world, but I do feel a little misled. I hope the game survives this transitory state, but I cannot yet find any justification for that hope. I'll continue watching, and maybe the future will bring me back into the fold, but as it stands I have a hard time believing that this is anything less than the end.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:07 am 

Thank you Bastion for the word- best of luck to you all and well done on everything- if there's any justice this won't be the end of it!

I'm thoroughly disgusted at the attitude complaining at 'lack of commnuication'

How dare you express disgust when you've no idea what limits on communication & discussion the staff were under, and it is disgragfully selfish of you to express and have constantly nagged over the last two days your annoyance when these people have all just lost their jobs and seen their hard work and effort come to nothing.
You should be ashamed.

<- The Tomb of Queen Meabh.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:16 am 

It's business. Get over it.

I'm the consumer. As the ones paying for their dream, we are all collectively their boss. If we are all complaining, that's a good indication that their performance is inadequate.

Now stop brown nosing the bastion staff. They won't even be the ones designing and producing the game anymore. I wish them well, and I'm sorry that things didn't turn out, but I'm sure that this isn't the end for any of their livelihoods or careers.

As the owner of a failed business, I know that one prepares for failure. Most businesses fail, and I have no pity for those who aren't ready for this likelihood.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:19 am 

Well, I think communication was not that bad, I mean, 24 hours is quite ok, no one can blame a small company for not having people sitting in front of their computers 24/7. Mostly if most of them are send into unemployment. There are really bigger things to do than to tell people who have bought some products what is going on.

The only question for me as a non-native English speaker: Where is the connection between a rise of sales and financial problems? I do not understand that part. Is it "only" a reorientation of the company with a new partner, or why is there a problem?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:22 am 

They just told us the opposite of what they're telling us now. If outright deception isn't bad communication, I don't know what is.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:25 am 

Craddoc wrote:
The only question for me as a non-native English speaker: Where is the connection between a rise of sales and financial problems? I do not understand that part. Is it "only" a reorientation of the company with a new partner, or why is there a problem?

That's a really good question- it is probable that the starter sets were 'loss leaders' products that were sold beneath cost so as to get the product out to people. So there would be little or no profit from it.
Add to this that the cost of payroll, physical plant, rent, all the costs the company may have had have been building for the whole length of development. If all this is what happened there was a gamble that sales would pick up fast enough to pay off debts and turn profit before the debts became un-manageable.

That's only a guess- one possibility!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:26 am 

groundedcontrol wrote:
They just told us the opposite of what they're telling us now. If outright deception isn't bad communication, I don't know what is.

How exactly were you decieved?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:28 am 

Ground, I see your point here, if this problem is known for a longer time (and I think it was) there could have been an announcement before, there is in fact the bitter taste that maybe there was not a completely honest communication the last weeks. But in the end, we can complain, it will not make any difference. I still don't see why a company with rising sales gets into financial problems that fast...

That an investment is always bound to high costs should be clear, I mean, why didn't Bastion go don during the investment but now, when investments are mostly done and the community is growing? I don't see that right now...

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:34 am 

Craddoc:

Sales were rising, but clearly they were way below what they needed to be in the first place. Improvement is good, but it was clearly too little too late, something I've been asking about since day one. I hate to say it, but I saw this coming and purchased anyway against my better judgement. This game was simply not ready for market.

I'll bet that the "investments" were mostly in the form of borrowed capital, and production agreements. If this is a takeover, like it was with WF, I'm so boycotting whatever comes out of it.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:36 am 

groundedcontrol wrote:
It's business. Get over it.

I'm the consumer. As the ones paying for their dream, we are all collectively their boss. If we are all complaining, that's a good indication that their performance is inadequate.

Now stop brown nosing the bastion staff. They won't even be the ones designing and producing the game anymore. I wish them well, and I'm sorry that things didn't turn out, but I'm sure that this isn't the end for any of their livelihoods or careers.

As the owner of a failed business, I know that one prepares for failure. Most businesses fail, and I have no pity for those who aren't ready for this likelihood.

Who are you accusing of brown-nosing?
You seem to be quite thick, if you think we're collectively their boss you obviously don't understand how a business works it's no surprise you failed!!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:41 am 

Yes. be a dick to me. You know the score. :lol:

They communicated that all was well during the worries over the Christmas holiday. That was untrue.

Also, if you think that the end consumer isn't essentially the one in control, then capitalism is completely lost on you.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:42 am 

Aw man I'm disappointed.
Someone at BoW made a good point though. You'd think hurt in sales will make a company slowly sink, not just explode while sales, community etc are supposedly increasing steadily. Did they underestimated the cost of the operation and are now left without fund?

In any case I'll continue to support them however I can.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:45 am 

Grounded do us all a favor and just leave already. Your being an ass is not making an already bad situation any better.

Bastion really sorry to hear that, it sucks. I really hope the game can at least be kept going and a way found for us players to still have access cuz otherwise its a waste of plastic without the software and the ability to still make musters.

I am really disappointed as my starter just arrived yesterday. And I just found out yesterday that my job is ending in 3 months too.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:48 am 

Wow, did I say anything to upset you Toq? I was right, in pretty much everything I ever said on these forums, but I only insulted one person ever, and that insult was provoked.

I will maintain, it's people like you who prevented this game from becoming what it could have been.

People like me were actively trying to make it better.

Last edited by groundedcontrol on Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:48 am 

Toqtamish wrote:
I am really disappointed as my starter just arrived yesterday. And I just found out yesterday that my job is ending in 3 months too.

If it just arrived yesterday, can't you return it?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:49 am 

Why would I do that ? I want to play the game still.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:51 am 

Because you're losing your job, and being able to provide for yourself is more important, I would think.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:53 am 

Toqtamish wrote:
Why would I do that ? I want to play the game still.

If I read a bleak announcement like the one above, and I was losing my job in 3 months, I'd sure return it. Just sayin.

Unless...you've already opened it and registered your units.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:00 am 

It's already paid for and shipped and opened and being assembled, just because my current position is ending doesn't mean I cannot find something else, its 3 months away. The sky is not falling. And theres always unemployment and then go back to school maybe.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:11 am 

Toqtamish wrote:
It's already paid for and shipped and opened and being assembled, just because my current position is ending doesn't mean I cannot find something else, its 3 months away. The sky is not falling. And theres always unemployment and then go back to school maybe.

Bingo- I'm gonna go to colege again too as I'm not working- provided this place doesn't go even further down the crapper ;)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:35 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

garathon wrote:
Thank you Bastion for the word- best of luck to you all and well done on everything- if there's any justice this won't be the end of it!

I'm thoroughly disgusted at the attitude complaining at 'lack of commnuication'

How dare you express disgust when you've no idea what limits on communication & discussion the staff were under, and it is disgragfully selfish of you to express and have constantly nagged over the last two days your annoyance when these people have all just lost their jobs and seen their hard work and effort come to nothing.
You should be ashamed.

Yes thank you for the notification. I am glad to have some closure to this.

As for Garathon, you sir need to get off your high horse. I won't say disgusted, but I have been disappointed with the lack of communication. If it was such a huge bleeding secret with "limits on communication" then why did it show up on the front page of BoW? Why did we have to hear it somewhere else first. When we ask questions in the open forums and in the BEK foums, we get nothing but crickets. I would have settled for anything. Even a "we can't say anything yet" would have sufficed.

I am not "ashamed" to ask questions. Not now or ever will I stop asking about things I care about when they look like they've gone tits up. "How dare we..." How dare you question my right to ask a simple, "are you still alive, please say something" to the people whose pockets I've been stuffing and game promoting for free for the better part of a year.

If you can't understand that we love this game, want it to do well, get back on it's feet and feel entitled to a little info, then maybe it is you who should be ashamed at your lack of concern. This game has been all-consuming for the devs and for many of the players, and I'll be damned if I was going to let it go quietly into the night. All we wanted was a pulse, anything, any way to help. And we were met with silence from them and a bunch of embarrassingly unconcerned "sorry your game died guys. Too bad it didn't work out. You all should be ashamed for caring and being worried about the outcome of this. You are terrible heartless people for wanting an update". It was like an awful text-message breakup.

Grounded is right. It is capitalism. While we may not be your boss, we are the reason that business happens. Without us, there is no company.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:37 am 

No, without you, there's other customers.
Idiots.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:39 am 

What I want to know is how long are the servers etc. good for and is there a way to carry on the website aspects of the game once its gone if it doesn't get picked up. With the spec trees, soft faction system etc there is a lot of replay value to the game even with just the units available now. Plus is it possible to get the daemon hordes put into the game at least ?

OfflineProfile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next