It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:25 pm

Post subject: players poll
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:19 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

I would be delighted to hear from the remaining players that love the Exillis world their best three ideas for restarting the game and rebuilding the momentum that was lost ?

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: players poll
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:53 pm 

Maybe organizing some kind of tournament?
I will think about other things that may help with EX rebirth ;-)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:15 am 

Ex illis needs changes and a big boost to get going again, I hope the investor understands this.
My three ideas in order of execution:

1 Redesign:
Further innovate the game, create a more generic rule keeper which can support multiple game systems . Add tracking technology that will substitute importing all movement and actions by hand on the computer/ipad, it gets the focus back on the minis and tabletop.

2 Collaborate:
Share the application with other miniature producers who have no rules/game themselves. Imagine a sci-fi ex-illis app game, for example.

3 Kickstarter:
Launch the new product, something truly new and fresh. The diversity will appeal to more gamers, and support from other miniature producers will create a larger target group.

Lord OK

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:52 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

Thanks for your feedback, the more players like you and speedy and a handful of other Exillis players churn ideas and get that creative energy flowing the more possibilities open up. So to start a process of dialogue I will comment on your below ideas:

1 Redesign:
Further innovate the game, create a more generic rule keeper which can support multiple game systems . Add tracking technology that will substitute importing all movement and actions by hand on the computer/ipad, it gets the focus back on the minis and tabletop.

ultimately I would have to agree a universal computer moderated rules set that would work with any genre, or models would be wonderful, but really that is an entirely different animal.

One of the main assets of this company has is the fascinating part history part fantasy Exillis world. with the models being what is actually sold the idea was to have the computer moderated rules as part of what you're investing in when you buy the models something that was wonderful and free. I believe this was somewhat of a failure from a company earnings point of view. All other gaming companies that primarily sell models but have a rule system could easily of offered their rule system free in a PDF format, but they realized that they needed the revenue of selling the rule system as a necessary part of the sustainability of that company.

There is a business model that is successful for a miniatures table top gaming company's, as disquieting as this model is from a player's perspective the truth of the matter is it works. It goes something like this: released a set of balanced rule system,with accompanying models, slowly introduce models that are a bit more powerful, which incrementally causes the rule system could become more and more unbalanced until a new rule system version needs to be introduced to re-balance the gaming system, which makes obsolete older models and causes the player to go into a new buying cycle as the process is repeated.

actually the card game Magic the gathering has most successfully implemented this model,especially with their draft program where players regularly by new booster pack and play. Not only the company but the retail store get constant revenue and thus supports the game .

I believe the original company strategic objectives were very noble in all that they gave the players but was not financially sustainable. I made several posts over the years that the software should have a charge to it why because I knew the company could not sustain itself in less it was gaining revenue from everything it did.

2 Collaborate:
Share the application with other miniature producers who have no rules/game themselves. Imagine a sci-fi ex-illis app game, for example.

Again a project of making a universal tabletop computer monitored miniatures game is a great idea and this company could go in that direction and move away from the models. Look at the success of Lone Wolf has had , I was in the initial development of Army Builder tabletop miniatures army lists computer software aid, now they have Hero Lab for RPG character generation, Card Vault for card game collections, and just released Realm Works for RPG campaigning this company has an on going staff has had a successful kick starter campaign and is more importantly cash flowing. So if Chinchilla games company made a strategic decision to go in the direction of exclusive software development for tabletop miniature games it could turn into a successful business.

I believe they still have a winning strategy for developing the Exillis world franchise, selling models, and the computer moderated rule system done in such a way that it creates necessary cash flow for sustainability and continued release of models. but it has to be seen as a business for it to continue.

I believe your idea has validity even within the Exillis world. In that there could be 100 year war straight historical filter that hides the fantasy elements and thus expanded their market into the historical tabletop miniature gaming, who I believe would like their models because the scaling is more accurate, fantasy tabletop miniature models tend to be exaggerated and so fantasy players are used to these exaggerated models luck and don't see the value of the true scaling the game with Exillis. Having been both a fantasy and historical gamer I was attracted to the scaling of the models as a historical gamer.
And of course getting rid of the graphics so that someone that has painstakingly crafted his own uniquely looking unit doesn't have to look at graphics that are no longer applicable or useful.

3 Kickstarter:
Launch the new product, something truly new and fresh. The diversity will appeal to more gamers, and support from other miniature producers will create a larger target group.

100% agreement I understand why and what happened in that they had all this inventory and no cash, but there needed to be something new beyond the possibility of a rulebook which seem to be a large step backwards.

But again taking your basic idea will and without re-forming the company from the ground up what could be done especially when Chinchilla games starts selling the software separately?? You can purchase a special unit code that allows you to construct a custom-made elite unit, you purchase the models purchase the special delete code and then you can draw from all the skill trees that have been translated in their basic generic form so the fluff and coloring could be adjusted accordingly. now I have a reason to buy another unit of FC and can have a unit of Dark Knights that have soul drain, or a barbarian horsemen that can throw hatchets and skirmish. in other words greater flexibility even within the game to make custom heroes, units . And instead of the company having to pay for the expensive molds of a whole new unit they can cast accessories new heads helmets shields and weapon types that allow all the current models to have great variety and look.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:45 am 

Very important to me is the addition of technology that keeps track of unit movement. switching back and forth between the tabletop and computer distracts from the game. Modern technology like the google glass or near field communication can be game changing. Imagine a game like in this trailer, but then using miniatures 8-) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ohNzHWL7FI

I believe a table top game should be playable by moving the models and using simple gestures/placing tokens to issue orders to the models. All a computer should do is display possible actions, unit stats and combat outcomes.

Developing this technology and application will be expensive. That is why going more generic would provide an outcome: Would you buy an extra playing surface just to play Ex illis? Nope. But you would buy it if that surface and application would work with Ex illis, RPG, sci-fi and historical games?
Spreading those costs over multiple games/company would solve the money issue.

I totally agree there are risks connected with creating a more generic application. And I don't want it to be dominant over the Ex illis world, background and game. Only the background engine should be generic, every game would get its own application with fitting design.
It should help make Ex illis a better and popular game, but why not help some other games to become digitally enhanced wargames and split the costs as well? ;)

Lord Ok

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:01 am 
I could not be a traitor to Edward, for I was never his subject.

I am sorry for the untimely problems with the forum. As you must have heard, the heartbleed bug was all over the web and our site was affected. I've had to update the software ( a lot of them .. ) and I proceeded to validate most of the game function afterward and everything was fine. I failed to remember that the forum was running on a different database than the game and I didn't think to validate it; as you've seen, there was an incompatibility between the versions, and the forum could not load.

I have been notified of those problems this morning when Archangel wanted to check back on this thread. I then proceeded to fix it up. Sorry again!

Have a good day :)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:35 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

thanks for the update wondered what happened

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:27 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

Lord Ok wrote:
Very important to me is the addition of technology that keeps track of unit movement. switching back and forth between the tabletop and computer distracts from the game. Modern technology like the google glass or near field communication can be game changing. Imagine a game like in this trailer, but then using miniatures 8-) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ohNzHWL7FI

I believe a table top game should be playable by moving the models and using simple gestures/placing tokens to issue orders to the models. All a computer should do is display possible actions, unit stats and combat outcomes.

Developing this technology and application will be expensive. That is why going more generic would provide an outcome: Would you buy an extra playing surface just to play Ex illis? Nope. But you would buy it if that surface and application would work with Ex illis, RPG, sci-fi and historical games?
Spreading those costs over multiple games/company would solve the money issue.

I totally agree there are risks connected with creating a more generic application. And I don't want it to be dominant over the Ex illis world, background and game. Only the background engine should be generic, every game would get its own application with fitting design.
It should help make Ex illis a better and popular game, but why not help some other games to become digitally enhanced wargames and split the costs as well? ;)

Lord Ok

although this is a grand idea and I'm sure possible in the hopeful future, my query was more of how to restart what is here right here and now and get it flowing again so that there would be the funds for new models and the company's continued growth. what are the key three things that need to change?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:34 am 

Thanks William Wallace, I'm happy we can keep this discussion going. :)

yosefbender wrote:
although this is a grand idea and I'm sure possible in the hopeful future, my query was more of how to restart what is here right here and now and get it flowing again so that there would be the funds for new models and the company's continued growth. what are the key three things that need to change?
Unfortunately, the world has not forgotten Ex illis, and they surely haven't forgotten its demise.
Just follow the following links and read these comments or this happy customer review for some market input. :|
I don't think anyone will now buy Ex illis without a rigorous relaunch.

Lord Ok

OfflineProfile