It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:39 pm

Post subject: Re: Official feature list in development
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:44 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

from the beginning of the game development I was hoping that results of any action would be in a descriptive text format.

"the "______" billmen rush into battle putting with all their might into a mighty chop down, splitting asunder the shields and life's of five Spearman, though very tired, they watched their enemy flee the battlefield."

in the case of the above mentioned thread of an adaptable terrain features, a simple text line could keep the eye on the board and not on the screen,

" the forest has been set ablaze the repeated Greek fire rained down by "_____" catapult, any units in the forest take additional burn damage, cover is reduced to open terrain. "

I'm with creating the modeling terrain to represent different areas of damage, I once built a castle that had multiple pieces that could show the deteriorating damage of both towers and walls, and a completely breached gate, I remember losing a game to a larger army but enjoying it so much because I was able to watch the castle crumble.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:08 pm 

Honestly, my favorite table was just like you described. A little hobby gaming shop out in California had built a table for the battle of Minas Tirith, from The Lord of the Rings. The whole table had been built up into a scale model of the keep, and even the hill and valley were well modeled.

But as you say, Yosef, what made it fantastic was watching the keep come down. Large sections of the wall were removable, to leave a distinctly "blown up" look to what remained.

As for the text display, I would prefer it not try to be colorful. It's similar to when I play a new third person action game, that touts some special move animations. Yeah, it's really cool the first few times you see it but no matter how many different animations there are, eventually you've seen them all so much that they become stale and uninteresting. A prime example of this is "Force Unleashed" I swear, if you crush one AT-ST like a tin can it's awesome. If you crush every AT-ST like a tin can, it's lame.

If we are going to have a text display, just tell me what happens: "soandso's Knight Baneret leads soandso's Franc Chevaler in a charge against whoever's swordsman: -BATTLE RESULTS HERE-"

If the text tries to be ornate, it will end up just being silly. Let me do the imagining at my table, please. That's my opinion.

In a vaguely related note... Any plans to eventually do a Modern, or sci fi themed game? I would really love to see what this world looks like moving into the information age, if it ever does.

As for science fiction, well I'm just in love with the entire genre so I'd love to see that.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:19 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

Honestly, my favorite table was just like you described. A little hobby gaming shop out in California had built a table for the battle of Minas Tirith, from The Lord of the Rings. The whole table had been built up into a scale model of the keep, and even the hill and valley were well modeled

would love to see some pictures of it if any one has some

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:34 pm 

yosefbender wrote:
Honestly, my favorite table was just like you described. A little hobby gaming shop out in California had built a table for the battle of Minas Tirith, from The Lord of the Rings. The whole table had been built up into a scale model of the keep, and even the hill and valley were well modeled

would love to see some pictures of it if any one has some

Sounds like the same place. I can't remember the name of the shop for the life of me though. Anyone out there who has pictures, count me as a second request!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:49 pm 

Hey all first time poster - and I just got into Ex-Illis. Great game and it seems to be a pretty supportive community and company (all of which are huge pluses in my book).

The game is really good. My friend and I just played our first two games today with proxy minis using the trial accounts - and I'm already wanting to play more though my mind is tired from all the new stuff being pounded into it today! Really cool.

Though my friend and I have some suggestions for the designers to implement.

1. Show the map with the terrain features on it and the unit types. Currently the map is featureless and it just shows 1's and 2's - this becomes very confusing at times.

2. Before combat results have been displayed there should be a "Go Back" button. Nothing is more troublesome than trying to see what your options are and accidentally clicking the mouse and having something happen or mixing up what type of attack you wanted etc.

3. If you display the figures on the map (or just stick with numbers) show which way they are facing. Sometimes miniatures get mixed up and when there is 5 regiments in a square it becomes nigh impossible to know if you are charging from a flank, rear, or front.

4. The help button is helpful, however, it would be nice if the names of the buttons displayed when you hover the mouse over the button. This allows a player to remember not just the picture but the name - increasing the speed of actions and when new buttons or skills are introduced you can at least know what name they are to do a wiki search for them.

5. Increase the screen resolution. Things seem really cramped on the screen in High Deff - this would help a lot as at times the screen feels very cluttered - like buffs on units are hidden when clicking the help button which reveals units health/fatigue/veil making it difficult to remember what is on your units.

6. This has already been asked for, but it would be nice to skip through animations - I don't think too many people want to sit through souffrances walking around for 12 seconds...

Ultimately a VERY good game, but these things really bugged us throughout. However, I feel with the speed you guys release fixes and such this game will just keep getting better. So I hope you take my newbie criticisms as trying to be constructive and helping the community as I really want this game to succeed - it rocks.

Cheers!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:22 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

I dont work for Bastion, but I'm pretty sure I can answer a couple of those comments.

1) The terrain and numbers. I think Bastion prefers that the physical components fulfill the role of showing you the strategic overview. This will be much less confusing once you have the minis that correspond to the screen and you paint them up to match their digital counterparts. Same for the terrain.

2) fight directions. Technicaly your supposed to move all the models in the zone to match the new fight direction. I find this a bit cumbersome. Instead you can leave the last unit that charged at the edge (facing the right way) of the zone they charged, moving all other units in. But to be honest, the best solution (to me) is a GF9 arrow token. They make all types of naval combat arrow tokens. You can just use one of those for fight directions.

3) Back button. The boys at bastion have made playing ex illis similar to playing chess. You know, the whole take your hand off the piece thing. I guess giving your commands the right way is part of being a good general... Very frustrating on touch screens. This will become a non issue with time however. After a few games you will know what you want to do and will not use help screens very often.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:24 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

P.s. Amen on the skip through animations option.

If you think the soffrance is a long anim, wait till you see the flying decurion that falls behind... Long

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:46 pm 

Don't forget charging crossbowmen. :(

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:25 pm 

@MadNes: Thanks for the reply.

MadNes wrote:
1) The terrain and numbers. I think Bastion prefers that the physical components fulfill the role of showing you the strategic overview. This will be much less confusing once you have the minis that correspond to the screen and you paint them up to match their digital counterparts. Same for the terrain.

I can see how they want to promote their great looking minis and such - and I bet it would be better with the actual miniatures and practice. But if you want to make things easier for new comers - at least providing the map terrain features would be a big help.

MadNes wrote:
2) fight directions. Technicaly your supposed to move all the models in the zone to match the new fight direction. I find this a bit cumbersome. Instead you can leave the last unit that charged at the edge (facing the right way) of the zone they charged, moving all other units in. But to be honest, the best solution (to me) is a GF9 arrow token. They make all types of naval combat arrow tokens. You can just use one of those for fight directions.

We have tried to keep all the units facing the correct way - but it ends up very difficult to know when there is a massive combat occurring what bonuses you will get (flank, rear, none) without committing to the charge - and only finding out later that you did get a flank. I've charged into some combats where our minis we thought to be correctly placed in hopes of getting a flank charge, but instead hitting the front - and being quite baffled about it. So if the numbers had an arrow or when you are selecting where you want to move it can say "Flank Attack" or "Rear" or "Front" - this would erase human error and make an even playing field.

I suppose getting some markers or having Bastion make their own would be a miniature solution to this - but there is still human error if you incorrectly place them somehow...

MadNes wrote:
3) Back button. The boys at bastion have made playing ex illis similar to playing chess. You know, the whole take your hand off the piece thing. I guess giving your commands the right way is part of being a good general... Very frustrating on touch screens. This will become a non issue with time however. After a few games you will know what you want to do and will not use help screens very often.

That's a very good point. But if there is no "undo" button there should be at least a text when you hover your mouse over something or a feature to turn on/off that makes you accept your action: "Do you really wish to ____?" Yes/No.

Cheers!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:00 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

Its possible u may be misunderstanding the the angles etc. Here is the wiki page with a usefull chart to help u out.

http://ex-illis.com/wikien/Charging

2) are u guys placing terrain on the board? I'm asking because in games I've played we've never had a terrain issue. But we have been playin for a while, so we mainly focus on the board.

3) I agree more steps can be taken to remove human error. Personally, I dont want to see it though. Making those little mistakes or not (imo) is part of being an elite general or not.

4) hover would be better, but I think the software is designed for touch screens and is just ported over to pc n mac.

5) "are u sure" menus could get annoying in larger games. I hated windows vista cuz o those stupid pop ups

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:09 pm 

Alright, maybe this is a small issue for most, but bear with me.

One thing I would really like to see in future updates is a clean software element that looks good and runs properly on my laptop. I know this game is young, but I really hope we can get some dedicated software that doesn't feel so clunky. Thankfully I spend most of my time looking at the board, but when other gamers see my screen and think I'm playing a game from the early 90's I think it might actually matter.

I am not familiar with programming at all, but the sensation that I get is that the software is somehow encumbered by something. There's no reason that I should need vastly accelerated graphics card to display 2D sprites on a background. Are there any plans in the works to clean up the software element a bit? It's not a critical gameplay element, and certainly won't keep me from playing the game but I do think it's something which should be addressed at some point.

Meanwhile, thanks for all the other updates, things are going well mechanically for the most part.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:02 pm 

Put me in for a vote on speeding up animations. Maybe there can be an option to skip all non combat animations. ( I like those! )

Also on my collection screen I was trying to figure stuff out. With no pop up help I was clicking on stuff to see what it was. One of my heros now has a 0 where a 1 used to be. It was on the bottom of the right hand side of the screen. Any help would be nice! ( Didn't know where else to ask this. ) :D

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:39 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

Mattimao wrote:
Put me in for a vote on speeding up animations. Maybe there can be an option to skip all non combat animations. ( I like those! )

Also on my collection screen I was trying to figure stuff out. With no pop up help I was clicking on stuff to see what it was. One of my heros now has a 0 where a 1 used to be. It was on the bottom of the right hand side of the screen. Any help would be nice! ( Didn't know where else to ask this. ) :D

The bottom right hand side usually shows the timer for trial units. If you have a full trial (no real units) you get 30 days. Once it counts down to zero the units are in a suspended animation of sorts. I believe you can still play the musters you had, but cannot level, spec or create new musters.

Or
You may have activated both of your trial heroes and now have no more available trial heroes. Once you activate a "real' hero of that type, another trial version will be available to you gain.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:54 pm 

Now that the site is back up...
I had clicked where it says re-set 1

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:59 pm 
I could not be a traitor to Edward, for I was never his subject.

That resets your units specs, without having to pay for it.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:03 pm 

Oh. Thanks. ;)

OfflineProfile