It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:47 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Official feature list in development
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:59 am 

One area I would like to see more options / development is in the fog of war aspect.

Motivation for these ideas started with leveling up of our units. I don't want my opponent to be able to easily see which is my level 9 archers and which is just level 2. Let him find out on the battle field by observing the unit fight .. not by checking out the health bar!

A few configurable game options could be:

A) Having a variable number of the units displayed in the turn order window at the top.
    0 - can't see which unit activates next until it pops up on the screen
    1 - see next unit only
    2 - see next two, etc
    upto max which is where i feel it is now.

B) Variable unit info. Right now can click on ? and then any unit. This will then show morale, health, fatigue etc as a number and a coloured bar. An idea would be to have 3 or 4 levels. Also have the levels variable for enemy and friendly units seperately

1- Full info - the way it is now

2- limited info - If you check units only see a coloured bar but no numbers.

3- very limited info - can only see what stance and spells affects the units has

4- no info

This of course interacts with the idea above. Can't check units if they don't appear in the turn order bar.

Hidden units could be cool but I worry that it is too computer oriented a feature. I think most of us are looking for stuff that drwas are attention to the figs and board and less towards the computer!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:51 am 
Lead Spammer / Spammeur en chef

Definately too computer oriented for me. in all mini games with xp i've heard of you are aloud to know the specifics of the enemy figs

Part du principe que j'ai toujours raison, tu gagneras du temps
Life is a game, play it your way

http://ex-illis.com/wikipl/Category:Cadwe

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:18 am 

Fair enough. That is why I suggest this be configurable. This way you can have it as it is now and and I can have the ability to adjust it ;).

I have no experience with other minis games that have XP but I like that ex-illis can potentially be different than other minis games. imho, this doesn't feel too computer oriented since I am asking for less information be displayed / available and thus less time will be spent on looking at the computer.

One thing that I like about ex-illis is that it doesn't feel as "gamey" as many games. I like systems that allow me to spend most of my time making battle field commader style decisions and not worrying about rules or pouring over data that I think the battle field commander would not have. The computer handling the rules for us takes care of that aspect, having the option to limit the amount of data throught the "?" function helps the 2nd part.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:35 am 

Yeah, We always swap lists before hand to look over what our opponent has. We never use hidden lists.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:58 pm 
Stupor Mundi

We've been having good discussions at the studio about this topic.here's what I can tell you so far:

- we are definetly going into the direction of exposing MORE of the gameplay, variables and caluculation than hiding them. To us, the software should be a calculator, so hiding or witholding info doesn't make a lot of sense.

- HOWEVER, we do see the point of letting people hide some info they feel should be tactically hidden from their opponent. We'll try, as much as possible, to put such features with an on/off switch. After all, it's your game and we'll do our best to let you play it the way you want it. Of course we'll have official Bastion Presets for the tournaments we'll run and some of these options may come in a bit later than the initial feature (due to development timeframes) but our aim is to make Ex illis a modulable game.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:39 pm 

Perhaps you should have ranges, I mean like level 2 archers could be Level 1-4 which would give your opponent a rough guide but does not completely tell them, thus keep some of the element of surprise.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:53 am 
Stupor Mundi

Certainly something to consider!

Advance players will get that info of course by seeing what ability these units have access too (we'll make that more plain in additional info screens), but yeah, that's definitely a way. BTW, I'm editing the original post to reflect V1.09.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:49 am 

I'm already sold on this game (waiting for a shipping quote) but a feature that will make this game the absolute best, is AI.
If I have enough minis for 2 musters, and I can play against a computer, it would make this game the best thing on the market.
I often feel like playing at 1am, and obviously no players are available. being able to get a game in against a computer would be awesome.

thanks!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:49 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

poet wrote:
I'm already sold on this game (waiting for a shipping quote) but a feature that will make this game the absolute best, is AI.
If I have enough minis for 2 musters, and I can play against a computer, it would make this game the best thing on the market.
I often feel like playing at 1am, and obviously no players are available. being able to get a game in against a computer would be awesome.

thanks!

good luck getting fred to budge on this one, or playing online.

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: scenario generator
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:26 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

love your list of all the wonderful things headed towards future exillis releases, :D the one that gets my juices really flowing, is a scenario generator. one that would allow you to create all sorts of different deployment options, especially when the terrain features are and place.

These features I imagine such a generator would have:

1. layout the amount of tiles used in scenario. (there would have to be a minimum so that that the defender would not put the invader in harm's way in the first turn and a maximum of 35 by 35 see below )

2. lay out the terrain used on tiles in scenario.

3. Have an adjustment on terrain features, thickness of forest, slope of hill, that would affect the game mechanics. even the ground could be adjusted for muddy to even grass for movement restrictions or bonuses.wouldn't necessarily have to illustrate it with an icon but adjust the sliders and give them a name, have the name appear on tiles in halftones. (example rocky ground) for board layout set up, this would also help identify the board.

4. name each side of the battlefield ( a red halftone "invader" and a blue halftone "defender" for the deployment areas)

5. highlight the tiles used for initial deployment of each side (drag red or blue halftone deployment screens across tiles on scenario layout map.

6. Highlight the tiles used for entering reinforcements (a second border in blue and red)

7. Time till reinforcement is enacted for invader and or defender.

8.Time of day when battle begins (once Time element is in game) turns till nightfall,or turn till dawn.

9. Weather conditions (once whether element is in game)wind to would be a big factor in missile shooting. a drizzle for all electricity and fire spells ect ect will.

10. A way to drop scenario map into a larger campaign map, the largest map being the European continent with small hex grids, when you click on a Hex it expands and reveals a 35 x35 tile area (I realize the scale would be way off but making it much larger would be impractical) then however big this scenario map is in tiles, it drops into that 35 by 35 campaign map area. So that a player could build their village, castle, fields and forests., and arrange the terrain so that they would have to be home team advantage in the different battlefields, they set up its their war camp or conquered territory.

I'm sure the campaign would be a later edition but if the design for the scenario map had the campaign as part of its future it could be easily designed to work.

then in the game there would be a scenario map options list that could load that scenario.

what you think?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:34 pm 

Sorry if it has already been covered but has any one considered morale affecting terrain like holy/histrionic sites. Or even go so far as to suggest individual tiles that affect morale? This could also be faction specific?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:24 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

morale affecting terrain like holy/histrionic sites.

never heard that discussed on the board, I think it's a great idea and really cool for scenarios adding some holy site that effects certain creatures or units. should add that to the scenario generator list.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:37 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

Kav2099 wrote:
Sorry if it has already been covered but has any one considered morale affecting terrain like holy/histrionic sites. Or even go so far as to suggest individual tiles that affect morale? This could also be faction specific?

you must be new around here... WELCOME!!

That is an awesome idea

I'm thinking helfire guisers for deamons
mountains / highlands for celts
alter / idols / statues for mystic
holy ground for papal

Fred - I know you said you're not getting into terrain, but c'mon. Molded tile boxed sets are models too.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:12 am 

Really, I think playing with 2 computers right now would be the most tactically important feature to add, especially with the Mangonel right around the corner. I've heard it works a lot better when your opponent doesn't know exactly where it's shooting. I think it would also be helpful to not let your opponent know when you're setting up certain tactics, like the light cav retreat or the archers aimed shot.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:54 am 

On the other side of the coin, you can use your opponent's knowledge of your using an ability, or setting up a long shot, to force them to react differently, which can be a part of your strategy.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:41 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

Ecllection wrote:
On the other side of the coin, you can use your opponent's knowledge of your using an ability, or setting up a long shot, to force them to react differently, which can be a part of your strategy.

Yeah, cuz he knows, that I know, that he knows, that I know that I'm aiming for that spot. :lol: There is a metagame for you

I think both open and closed views will be fun. But there do seem to be some powers that would work better in an undisclosed view. Like the lure power for the hobelar or th overwatch by the arbali.... Crossbowmen.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:19 am 

We wouldn't really need Bastion to make any models for this just add rules into the software.

I like making my own terrain its fun!

I might have to start a thread for thoughts on this as I feel it has solid potential.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:28 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

Kav2099 wrote:
We wouldn't really need Bastion to make any models for this just add rules into the software.

I like making my own terrain its fun!

I might have to start a thread for thoughts on this as I feel it has solid potential.

true. But I think selling terrain packs with ultra cool minis and an activation code would do two things. Offset the cost for developing terrain software. Give you cool gameplay features from
more in depth terrain.

For instance, dessert terrain software is free. An oasis tile, or pyramid tile, or dune tile, comes in the terrain pack with special rules, and area specific fighters.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:33 pm 

That is a great idea, to package a tile with warriors that go with it. I completely second that idea!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:22 am 

The guys at TWO FAT Lardies, produce a WWII Rule set with a great FoW aspect.

Instead of minis at first you see only contacts, some of which are real others are not.

But it plays well.
http://toofatlardies.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3&zenid=3471a27522c5239ac88b32daa1d8b59c

They make some great rules for gaming with, well worth a look for ideas if nothing else.

Lee

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 4:38 pm 

Say,

Any updates on the economy system?

Or for that matter the addition of dwarves.....I just can't wait for those guys!

Best regards,
Henry Maddox

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 6:17 am 

true that its been a long since since the economis system was brought up. any news?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:21 am 

I'd like to see alternate missions.

Some sort of holding terrain missions.

Even escape/breakthrough missions.

The place to play Ex-illis in Memphis TN

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:27 pm 

Being able to view the won/loss/draw records of other players would be cool, but I'd settle for being able to see my own.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:17 am 

these records and mini stats: how many did this guy kill, how many times did he die, etc

OfflineProfile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next