It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:42 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Official feature list in development
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:04 pm 

a little late but

I love the idea of buying terrain tiles, right now i printed some of the paper ones to lay over my board while my friends N i play. and for demos I just use the fences from the starters until i make some trees.

No one has brought this up but, sound effects. I want some old school EverQuest healing spell sound effects for my mendicum units, or when you win a Mellee the Final Fantasy 7 music. I know copy right laws, but some ambient sound can add another level to the game to people just walking by and not really looking at it. I mean a Knight Baneret calling your mother a hamster would be pretty hilarious as his taunt ability.

Connecticut's Bleeding Edge Knight

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:10 pm 

BergerFett wrote:
I mean a Knight Baneret calling your mother a hamster would be pretty hilarious as his taunt ability.

The option to leave them turned off would be appreciated as well. :) Silly mode - OFF.

I like the idea of ambient sounds, but I'd rather see new minis and new faction before sounds in the software.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:56 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

sound effects has been brought up numerous times, due to the development cost for good sound effects Bastion opted to go for silence. I think the French guys likes the chess like atmosphere of silence.

If anybody does download sound effects from some game system I would love a copy of them, as I've been using sound effects for tabletop miniature gaming and rpg for many years, unfortunately the copy of RPG mixer designed specifically for role-playing games no longer works, but I would love some good battles Sound effects if anybody wants to PM send them I would be ecstatic.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:57 am 
Lead Spammer / Spammeur en chef

Quote:
I think the French guys likes the chess like atmosphere of silence.

in fact they want sound too, but im on the few that find it better silent, and since i'm Lead Spammer...... ;) ;)

i prefer music when i play or paint, but since its mostly lyrics, rock and country, i don't think you guys will want them :P

Part du principe que j'ai toujours raison, tu gagneras du temps
Life is a game, play it your way

http://ex-illis.com/wikipl/Category:Cadwe

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:31 am 

sounds is just an idea but I can see how a store may not appreciate it. Altho my friends and I already break out our worst english and french accents when we play just to set the mood.

Connecticut's Bleeding Edge Knight

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:00 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

Upon further review, I think other than new models, the most important development is removing internet dependance to muster units and log in, thus making pick-up games easier.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:15 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

As far as making the pickup games easier with less web dependency, are we talking about the second password idea for pre-loading, or are we talking about perhaps a USB drive caching of musters? I think that both are valid, but the pre-load idea doesn't seem to me to actually take care of the issue completely. If you have the opportunity to pre-load elsewhere, it's not really a spontaneous game. Carrying the musters on a drive is good, but not perfect. The iPhone and iPod touches don't have a USB port, so playing with a full on laptop would be the best method for using that.

Any Thoughts?

Also going back to the terrain. I love the special terrain idea, and even the purchasing thereof to offset the software dev costs (though I love making my own terrain). I don't however like the idea of packaging the terrain with the associated minis. That means that the base price of that unit is likely going to increase, and if you don't want the terrain, it's a cost you may not want to pay. Imho, a package of terrain only would be best.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:12 pm 

Now I may be chewing wood here, but some kind of scroll functionality for unit abilities would be pretty useful since at the moment I have trouble seeing all the abilities available in some situations.

e.g. A Marrenne in combat has the fight, guard, flee, Flora Aspect, Regenerate AND Gust abilities, the latter of which is tucked behind the army morale/victory bar.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:17 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

Caladesque wrote:
Now I may be chewing wood here, but some kind of scroll functionality for unit abilities would be pretty useful since at the moment I have trouble seeing all the abilities available in some situations.

e.g. A Marrenne in combat has the fight, guard, flee, Flora Aspect, Regenerate AND Gust abilities, the latter of which is tucked behind the army morale/victory bar.

If you click the question mark it will allow you to scroll through all available abilities without selecting them.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:41 pm 

Aye, but I mean I shouldn't have to use that to find out what is being obscured by the bar. A scroll tab at the bottom when there's more abilities than can be shown all at once would be heavenly.

Edit: Oh yes, click and drag while in help mode. N.B. I in fact do chew wood.

Last edited by Caladesque on Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:47 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

Could be useful. But u will notice, after a few games you will already know what u want to do, so the scroll bar wont be much more useful than the current form of sliding action bttons

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:05 pm 

a massive update here would be nice

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:14 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

i agree with cadwee, no update since february, a lot of things in progress are done now (thanx a lot, they are great !)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:41 am 

I was just talking features with a friend of mine, and while we are both really new to the game, we were completely thrilled by the sheer potential that this software has.

Having read this thread a few times to consider the possible features, I've decided to suggest one. Keep in mind that even though I've had an interest in miniatures games for a long time, this is really my first serious foray into the hobby, so my idea might be ridiculous.

ADAPTIVE TERRAIN
Anyone who has watched a football game played during the rain, or who has hiked across soft ground knows that if enough boots cross a soft field, that field becomes a swampy, muddy, slippery mess. Everything in this game seems to have a variable element, so why not terrain.

Forests under constant fire from siege engines should provide less and less cover over time. Fences breached by a soffrance's charge should provide less of a benefit to the defenders in the future, and so on.

I'm not sure what the logistics of implementing such a feature are, but each terrain tile could show (either on the screen, or by having rules for representation on the table) that terrain's changes. Perhaps even more interesting, is how this opens the door to the development of units which might fortify or otherwise alter terrain. A spell could freeze lakes, making them crossable for a period of time. Dryads, could be given the ability to increase the cover value of a forest. Perhaps even regrow it after damage. Engineers which could fortify walls... Powerful casters who can raise hills where none were before. The possibilities are endless!

Oh! I am delighting in just imagining how far this could go. How far this revolution can take everything.

If such a feature is someday implemented, I can only imagine how much more deeply a general will have to understand his own strategy to come out victorious.

If it isn't clear, this game has enthralled me in a way that no other miniatures game ever has. This is the game that my friends and I have always wished for, but never thought anyone would produce. Thanks!

Last edited by groundedcontrol on Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:22 am 

OMG! Why as none of us thought about that before!!!!!!!

This would be awsome. This already exist in some wargames but in exillis the possibilities would be huge!

My bid would be on engineers with a long action to build a wall or put traps

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:13 am 

Oh! When we get units who can dig trenches, build walls, etc. I'm still even more thrilled by how much impact magic might have in this area. I'm waiting for the day when I can play a huge game and have my archmage crack the very earth with his magic, my emmisarius clearcut the forest which stands in his way... Oh goodness! It's just fantastic, isn't it?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:08 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

That idea is 100% win

Nuff said

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:14 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

groundedcontrol, you are speaking my language. I don't know if you've seen any of my terrain threads yet, but this is idea would give me so many new and interesting options for building and doing terrain tutorials.

B Boys, this is a wicked good idea. It wouldn't be easy, but it could add a new and exciting element to the gameplay. Even if it were just a single unit that could do this at first (some terra-mancer) that could be built 2ways to specialize in a particular branch of earth shaping it would make for a very potent game enhancer.

Your bowmen can't hit the enemy on the back line because there is a huge melee in between them and their target? Your terramancer makes a hill under them and whamo, clear shot. Good idea groundedcontrol.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:42 am 
I could not be a traitor to Edward, for I was never his subject.

It's certainly a good idea, as we had come with it ourselfs. We even went so far as to get the code in a shape which enables this, but we never put it live. The main problem lied in how to convey the changes that the terrain suffer to the users. Should we have multiple background for different level of 'damage' to the terrain ? If we destroy all the cover in a tile, does it remove the ACP bonus & maluses ? We have not been able to get a definite answer to those, so it's one of the thing we will look at again later :)

groundedcontrol wrote:
I was just talking features with a friend of mine, and while we are both really new to the game, we were completely thrilled by the sheer potential that this software has.

Having read this thread a few times to consider the possible features, I've decided to suggest one. Keep in mind that even though I've had an interest in miniatures games for a long time, this is really my first serious foray into the hobby, so my idea might be ridiculous.

ADAPTIVE TERRAIN
Anyone who has watched a football game played during the rain, or who has hiked across soft ground knows that if enough boots cross a soft field, that field becomes a swampy, muddy, slippery mess. Everything in this game seems to have a variable element, so why not terrain.

Forests under constant fire from siege engines should provide less and less cover over time. Fences breached by a soffrance's charge should provide less of a benefit to the defenders in the future, and so on.

I'm not sure what the logistics of implementing such a feature are, but each terrain tile could show (either on the screen, or by having rules for representation on the table) that terrain's changes. Perhaps even more interesting, is how this opens the door to the development of units which might fortify or otherwise alter terrain. A spell could freeze lakes, making them crossable for a period of time. Dryads, could be given the ability to increase the cover value of a forest. Perhaps even regrow it after damage. Engineers which could fortify walls... Powerful casters who can raise hills where none were before. The possibilities are endless!

Oh! I am delighting in just imagining how far this could go. How far this revolution can take everything.

If such a feature is someday implemented, I can only imagine how much more deeply a general will have to understand his own strategy to come out victorious.

If it isn't clear, this game has enthralled me in a way that no other miniatures game ever has. This is the game that my friends and I have always wished for, but never thought anyone would produce. Thanks!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:28 pm 

William Wallace wrote:
It's certainly a good idea, as we had come with it ourselfs. We even went so far as to get the code in a shape which enables this, but we never put it live. The main problem lied in how to convey the changes that the terrain suffer to the users. Should we have multiple background for different level of 'damage' to the terrain ? If we destroy all the cover in a tile, does it remove the ACP bonus & maluses ? We have not been able to get a definite answer to those, so it's one of the thing we will look at again later :)

I knew I was in love with this game for a reason. I'm glad to see that your minds are exploring such possibilities, and I look forward to someday seeing this feature in game play. Regarding the method of conveying terrain changes: I imagine you've exhausted the idea of simply having rules regarding the number of physical trees present, or fence pieces present in a given zone? That certainly is the hardest part, and I'm not really sure how you avoid either forcing representation on the table, or providing terrain detail from the map screen.

As for how to handle changes, and ACP bonuses maluses: I had envisioned a multi dimensional gradient. Tracking a piece of terrain on four axes such as {Cover Density(already tracked), Wetness, elevation, and roughness} would offer such flexibility (once in code) that you could then use it to provide a wide variety of effects.

A forest is destroyed, and not only has it lost it's cover, but movement in and out has become more difficult, because of all the fallen logs and debris. Its cover density has decreased, however, allowing a player's third unit to enter, and for flying units to pass through.

Even though the idea of higher dimensional geometry seems frightening, in this case it sounds as simple as having four interrelated variables, and setting up rules for how they interact with units and each other. I suppose that if this is not what you guys at Bastion had already been working on, that it would probably represent an incredible amount of work, but I believe it would add much depth to an already deep game.

When your terramancer raises the ground level under that lake, and turns half of the battlefield into a swamp your opponent had better hope he had planned alternatives.

I clearly am much better at the fantasizing part of this than the actual getting it done part, or I'd already have a proposal prepared about how bastion might implement these changes. Oh they joys of having too much free time.

Anyhow, Thanks again to William Wallace and the other staff at bastion for somehow being one step ahead of my imagination.

Louis

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:14 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

Put out a BEK patch and let us test it and give feedback like the other Terrain. I would love to try this out.

I would think that there should be different stages to each terrain too. like this:

Fences: Hit by a Mangonel - reduced to 50%ish effectiveness.
Hit by a charge - 25% less effective
Stormed by more than 1 unit in the same round - 25% less effective

Forrests: Hit by Fire - 100% destroyed - No one would hide in a burning forrest
Overun by Soffrances - 25% less effective because they destroy as they lumber thru

Ruins: Hit by Mangonel - Becomes dangerous to units inside - maybe take extra damage
Think any kind of charge should have a possibility of causing damage to themselves because you are running thru destroyed buildings.

Just a few ideas :D

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:16 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

I second that notion. I'd love to test it and give feedback.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:27 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

If they do implement this, I hope bastion makes this feature more board focused than software focused.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:38 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

Indeed. I'm ready to start making various terrain pieces to represent the levels of destroyed terrain. I also really want to make a frozen lake. That would be sweet!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:34 am 

is their like a list of what models and new units we will be expecting? =) just wondering :)

OfflineProfile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next