It is currently Mon May 28, 2018 5:43 am

Post subject: player strategy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:39 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

I hope I can get some discussion going on different player strategies there so many different ways to skin a cat and it would be fun to share ideas and approaches. There is enough diverse elements in the Exillis units that regardless of what strategy you employ there's always a way to counter it. I know some people are reluctant to share their strategies as they feel like they're giving away a trade secret. But actually when you start discussing different strategies people will help point out the week points in that strategy and you can go back and strengthen that strategy as a result of the discussion and have even a more effective battle plan.

So let's start out with a legendary war band with 12 units and four heroes

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: player strategy
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:13 am 

Legendary! I don't think a lot of people have warbands at that level. You might want to tone it down to, say, lvl 10 range or at most 20 at this moment.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:46 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

I think strategy in this game is hard to discuss because its soooooo situational. Early game vs late game your strategy will change due to fatigue.
Terrain types will change your strategy completly
Heck are you fighting at night or during the day.

As a rule though, my strategy is generally make more of my army fight less of his army at the same time. Concentrate on breaking one unit or zone from lots of angles. This will make your turns pop up quicker as you eliminate units and deplete the morale for the entire army.

Also, planning your charges in advance (which unit charges where first) can really be huge when trying to route a hard unit to kill. Dont forget fight direction.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:58 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

I agree that the particulars of the strategy changes based on terrain, deployment, and several other factors. But you have a general strategy With different war bands like using three units of x with this kind of support element.

Also like you listed there are general strategies that use in every game like planning your charges in advance or learning how to coordinate two charges.

I've played several games with the exact same armies but tried different deployments and one side would win and then I would change the deployment and the other Army would win so deployment is far more essential than I ever realized until I started experimenting.

There are certain units you almost always want to deploy first , like ladies should always go first ;)

there are certain units I almost always put at the very end like FC . I try not to ever charge a FC into a tile in less I know they're going to obliterate the weekend unit our cause the already frightened enemy to run. Their power is in their charge and if they don't clear the tile with that charge you suffer from too much casualty loss in their next turns.

If a lot of players have lower levels their currently playing then let's discuss strategies at those levels which are different strategies. Certain units without their higher skills you have to use differently. Like the Hoblars without "chain charge" I will just use "harass" but with "change charge" there are so many more effective options and this unit is so much more powerful in an overall battle strategy.

If I'm going to play offensively there certain units like the Mendicum ,Arbalestiers,that I would not use and even the Soffrances are too slow if you're blitzing the enemy. Inversely any defensive game I will have more of these units.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:44 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

Interesting. I could see how you would hold off on the arbs, but you almost need mendicum for an offensive army. Especially if you are crashing into a shooty army.

Soffrance are very hit or miss, and it also depends on the terrain, but I wouldn't immediately peg them as too slow. I think you can use soffrance the same way you use chevaliers, except they are not impetous.

Hobelars are dope, they are an awesome unit, particularly at getting to the back line to hit the squishy stuff in back like mendicum and mangonels.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:27 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

Interesting. I could see how you would hold off on the arbs, but you almost need mendicum for an offensive army. Especially if you are crashing into a shooty army.

I think that's because I use larger board sizes I have minimum six tile deep boards so the mendicum lose their support effect and if you have to move them it's is not worth the points.

I usually try to have a few units yimps with a Marrenne hero their primary job is to take out the shootys. My lady casting tempest on the shootys with the yimps casting proto-blast .So the proto-blast usually devastates the shooting unit the following turn and in the meantime they can't fire with Tempest.

if I'm playing dark Army the emissary usually gets all the missile fire and attention I try to get him close enough to do his earthquake pounce, before he's a giant pincushion .

I'm going to go back to playing smaller boards so I can revisit strategies necessary for that size of the board. Even a 6 x8 board seems small and limiting.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:40 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

I think the point that your missing is that you are playing a different game from the rest of us.

I'm pretty sure most people here are playing on the standard 5 x 4

Also protoblast and tempest happen after level 10... much later.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:36 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

yes I guess I don't understand why would you drive a car and only use first gear ?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:36 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

I just made a grand muster and played a game it's been years since I've played at that low of a level and it's true that every unit plays differently and you have to create a different playing strategy for units at low levels as they behave so much differently.

What level are most people playing at?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:35 am 

At the moment there are 3 of use mostly playing grand musters because that is the level use at the Tournament we are going to every 6 weekish.
Plus the highist level that one of use has got to is 30.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:45 am 

We've mostly been playing Open Tournament armies with our 4 players, mainly because (as Uther Dracus has said) that is what we have been playing at our get-together games days.

However, all the players are now pretty much at level 17+, and should be level 20 plus really soon, so we swill graduate to Grand level 20 armies on the next games.

thevodkakid and I are both almost at level 40, but actually haven't played anything above grand. We were saying on the way home that we should really start playing Legendary games on an 8 x 5 board - that would really change the game for us.

http://www.meeplesandminiatures.co.uk

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:56 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

We played a a 6 player game on an 8 x 6 board at one tournament, it was a blast.

I guess the reason I got stuck playing at level 10 is cuz I spent most of my team teaching the game and didn't really have an opponenet who was leveling up with me that wanted to play at higher levels.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:17 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

ok lets start with strategies at grand level on a 4 x 5 board ( understand this really limits a lot of advanced strategie's )

I will be happy to playtest any muster and deployment set up so before sharing my comments. Indeed I have nothing to offer in this level and board size until I play a couple dozen games. All ready the couple of games I played employing my winning strategies at the higher levels were dismal failures at grand .

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:30 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

Curious to know the advanced strategies that are off limits at this board size.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:48 am 

I think the best Strategy is a good defence, with ranged cover fire and light cav to counter attack. other then that i do not wish to give my battle plans away!

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Board size matters
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:03 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

:roll: :evil: :roll: IT is very very limiting to have a board that small 4x5 and to few units on the board, regardless of the level your playing at, your faced with the one who stays put and loads up defenses stances and whittles down the opponents strongest forces is the winner 9 times out of 10 its just to predicable. bad deployment can weaken that like having your FC charge off prematurely instead of putting them in reserve. A good General would not allow his war band to be boxed in like that :shock: 4x5 board size should just be used to demo the game. yes if both sides rush off to battle the out come really is a combination of deployment and luck who wins .

I just got to get you guys to try a 6 x 8 board which should be that standard size to play a game on. with two rows of deployment you still engage in about the same time . bigger than 6x8 boards make for a much longer game which I enjoy but not every ones cup of tea. once you have a larger army on a maneuverable board then all sorts of different battle strategies emerge and you can find counter for every good strategy if you have enough elements to .

I know that a "sand box"( My name for a 4x5 board) league game for tournaments is needed for new players. But a advanced league needs to be there for those who have larger army's and want to play advanced strategy.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:17 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

At this point any tourney for any players would be nice...

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:01 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

Agreed

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:59 pm 

MadNes wrote:

Go make it happen then! :D round up your army, head down to a local hobby store with you sister, does she still play? and go have a game, then, when you have lured people in, you smack them over the head with a pipe! take them a way! brain wash them, in a secrete under ground lair... or well tree house , that could work, AND MAKE THEM WORSHIP EX ILLIS MUHAHAHHAHAHAHA
Then you will have people to play tornys with.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:54 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

C.williams wrote:
MadNes wrote:

Go make it happen then! :D round up your army, head down to a local hobby store with you sister, does she still play? and go have a game, then, when you have lured people in, you smack them over the head with a pipe! take them a way! brain wash them, in a secrete under ground lair... or well tree house , that could work, AND MAKE THEM WORSHIP EX ILLIS MUHAHAHHAHAHAHA

I'm waiting for signs of life first... and no she doesn't play anymore.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:02 am 

MadNes wrote:
C.williams wrote:
MadNes wrote:

I'm waiting for signs of life first... and no she doesn't play anymore.

Well we have a server update, that sounds like life baby, mush! lol

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:19 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

new units on a regular schedule... thats life... servers are maintenance.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:32 pm 

MadNes wrote:

WW said we might get bridges, thats life :P

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:06 pm 

MadNes wrote:

So tell me... How are they going to afford to program new units on a regular schedule :?:

Are you going to sit and wait till they win the lottery? or help them a little by introducing new players who buy stuff? :P

Lord Ok

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:38 pm 

I think Madness does not want to be charged with a deadly Emi again hehehe

OfflineProfile