It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:02 pm

Post subject: Thoughts on the history of the Decurion
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:05 pm 

from "the guide for the perplexed", Moses Maimonides (1137-1204):
Guide for the Perplexed, by Moses Maimonides, Friedländer tr. [1904], at sacred-texts.com
some 50-70 years before the 'fog'

Chapter XLIX:
... All this only serves to lead to the belief that angels exist, and are alive and perfect, in the same way as we have explained in reference to God. If the figurative representation of angels were limited to this, their true essence would be believed to be the same as the essence of God, since, in reference to the Creator expressions are likewise employed, which literally imply that He is corporeal, living, moving and endowed with human form. In order, therefore, to give to the mind of men the idea that the existence of angels is lower than the existence of God, certain forms of lower animals were introduced in the description of angels. It was thereby shown, that the existence of God is more perfect than that of angels, as much as man is more perfect than the lower animals. Nevertheless no organ of the brute creation was attributed to the angels except wings. Without wings the act of flying appears as impossible as that of walking without legs: for these two modes of motion can only be imagined in connection with these organs. The motion of flying has been chosen as a symbol to represent that angels possess life, because it is the most perfect and most sublime movement of the brute creation. Men consider this motion a perfection to such an extent that they themselves wish to be able to fly, in order to escape easily what is injurious, and to obtain quickly what is useful, though it be at a distance. For this reason this motion has been attributed to the angels....

How to bring a real historical persepctive into a fantasy land of Exillis.
your thoughts just for fun.
(this is the kind of research i do....)

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Thoughts on the history of the Decurion
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:57 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

nice,

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:13 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

This is interesting, there was a notion that the earth was sinful, at least compared to the sky, in that time.
Birds(flying)>animal (4 legs) > snake (crawling)

Also, I remember reading that food touching the ground was not eaten by noble, since those that we in the sky (trees, wheat) were nobler. Peasants were those that worked the earth, while noble did not.
A) all angel can fly, 2) you need wings to fly, thus all angel need to have wings.
B) God>Angel>men>beast

There might have been a certain gratification of angles. The lower hierarchy angels might look more like human (with wings), while higher hierarchy angel would resemble less like human and animals but with wings. I'm pretty sure I have seen painting from the middle age with an angle that is made from a sphere with 2-3 pairs of wings.

If you look at painting of seraphim, some are just a head and 6 wings.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seraphim

or thrones/ophnim
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_ ... or_Ophanim
''They appear as a beryl-coloured wheel-within-a-wheel, their rims covered with hundreds of eyes.''

Both of those types of angles are part of the higher order. If we look at Archangels (Micheal, Uriel, ...), where do they fit in the angle hierarchy?

Looking at scheme theory of angel from the period
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_ ... _hierarchy

Quote:
Choirs scheme in medieval theology

St. Thomas Aquinas in Summa Theologica (1225–1274):
1. Seraphim, Cherubim, and Thrones;
2. Dominations, Virtues, and Powers;
3. Principalities, Archangels, and Angels.

Dante Alighieri in The Divine Comedy (1308–1321)
1. Seraphim, 2. Cherubim, 3. Thrones, 4. Dominations, 5. Virtues, 6. Powers, 7. Principalities, 8. Archangels, 9. Angels.

In both these schemes, Archangels (Micheal, Uriel, ...) are the closes to earth after regular angels. We could thus assume that they would resemble more human.

Quote:
‘’ The motion of flying has been chosen as a symbol to represent that angels possess life, because it is the most perfect and most sublime movement of the brute creation.’’

If low level angel possess life, do they need to nourish there body? If so, you need a mouth and a stomach.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:11 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

suddenly feel super inferior.

My guess is bastion has a different take on angels. In the fluff they are fallable (sp?) and easilly manipulated. I mean geez there is a merc faction. Not sure if this breaks up the hierarchy: god - angel - man - beast. As a
matter of fact, christian teachings will reverse the order of human and angel. As angels are servants which "minister to the spirit" of man. That seems like a more fitting order, especially since the pope controlled the angels for a while.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:49 am 
Lead Spammer / Spammeur en chef

as the fluff say, they are guessing the angels are just like all the other stuff: corrupted demons

Part du principe que j'ai toujours raison, tu gagneras du temps
Life is a game, play it your way

http://ex-illis.com/wikipl/Category:Cadwe

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:35 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

Hy would demons obey the pope and help him take over the world? If there are Angels and Devils, where is God? Why are the Angels following the orders of men.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:44 am 
Lead Spammer / Spammeur en chef

i don't know :lol: when i began to read the fluff thats what i saw. seems like all flaels are just like humans. you hate me, i kill you, you like ma, i help you

Part du principe que j'ai toujours raison, tu gagneras du temps
Life is a game, play it your way

http://ex-illis.com/wikipl/Category:Cadwe

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:41 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

More like, "u pay me, I help u"

in the first podcast Fred mentioned that there was a good reason why there are angels and demons, but no Jesus.... Other than not stepping on religious toes.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:35 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

Hy would demons obey the pope and help him take over the world? If there are Angels and Devils, where is God? Why are the Angels following the orders of men.

good question I think devils( fallen angels) are behind every religion (so they can take over the world) and that the God following angels support only those who walk in humility and mercy, who seek the hidden kingdom of hope faith and love.

My take on these winged boys is that they have left the upper realms when the gate opened between the worlds and most are fallen, but there a few good guys that are also down here keeping the balance of power in check. in the deepest chaos and ruin the is the seeds of greatest hope.

like the recent movie legion a disobedient good guy

my Jewish faction (longing to have data bits behind them ) will have such a vengeance against papal factions and orders, long do they remember the slain in every Inquisition and pogroms that scattered our people .

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:06 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

Wondering if that implies thag gabriel and michael also fell.

Here is another idea. Perhaps the wickedness of man caused god to abandon this world. (soddom & gomora style) He allowed the gates of hell to open and the fleaudians (demons) to pour out. The angel contingent left here would not abandon the world they've protected through eternity and stayed behind. They initially followed the pope because he was supposedly the chosen of god. Once the corruption was exposed many became dienchanted with the church and became warlords / mercenaries.

The few that are still devout continue to work for the church in hopes of restoring gods favor to this world. If they fail they will be trapped here for eternity as Lucifer and his fleaudians take controll of the earth.

How bout that 8-)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:49 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

all good if you can get an extra game out of the story :lol:

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:59 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

Story is what makez me care about the combat. Sure its cool to bash your enemy over the head... But why are they your enemies?

OfflineProfile