It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:37 pm

Post subject: Bizantium, and other questions...
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:18 pm 

Ciao, lords of this lovely Historico-Fantastic world!

I must say, I'm really impressed by the idea behind the game. The theme is really appealing for one as myself (I'm in college, graduating for History), but there are some little doubts...

I've seen nothing even mentioning our greek fellows from Bizantium. Since the timeline starts after the Sack of 1204, and no mentions about the 'reconquest' of Constantinople by the Nicean Empire, nor about the Chism. I'm really curious about how would the Basileus act during the Crozada Caeli, the presence of the Flael, the creatures, heck, the return of the feared Barbarossa!!

Specially, I'm interested in how would the bizantines interpret the presence of the angels in earth. And, of course, the Pope's escape to Avignon. The Patriarch must be really happy...

I'm assuming Andronikos II Palaiologos is the current Basileus. If anything, a suggestion of mine would have our good fellow Justinian I back. He was awesome, and the Greek Empire would sure benefit from his military and political skill. Also, Theodora would make for an interesting character, since we have Asmodai already... :lol: :lol:

Now, on with my questioning!!

Pietro Gradenigo, Doge of Veneza, had his Republic excomunicated due to his disputes with the Papacy (actually), but how does the Republic fares nowadays in Ex Illis? I can't see if Zara is in their hands, and the territory in the Charte seems small - not even reaching Verona, but perhaps Padua.

Talking about Doges, I'm hoping to see Simone Boccanegra back at Genua. It would be just awesome to have him back, but I fear for his being since Seraphiel lies near.

I also think that, after the poor Dogeship of Gradenigo, perhaps Enrico Dandolo could be back as well. He did, after all, even in blindness, expand the Republic boundaries and wealth enourmously.

And still on Italia, how about the Lombard League? It originally stood as a militar union to face the Imperator, but since we have quite a number of living Emperors now, how does it stands? I've heard Mammon may be lurking around... and are they still closely tied to De Hanze?

Since Barbarossa is back, I guess he might be coming down the Alps anywhere soon to try to bend our Comune once again.

On another topic, I've missed Ubertino de Casale. How could you guys left him out after getting Boniface VIII around!!!

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Bizantium, and other questions...
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:05 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

Doge Di Venezia wrote:
Ciao, lords of this lovely Historico-Fantastic world!

I must say, I'm really impressed by the idea behind the game. The theme is really appealing for one as myself (I'm in college, graduating for History), but there are some little doubts...

I've seen nothing even mentioning our greek fellows from Bizantium. Since the timeline starts after the Sack of 1204, and no mentions about the 'reconquest' of Constantinople by the Nicean Empire, nor about the Chism. I'm really curious about how would the Basileus act

More info needed for this one, my english is insufficent. Assume that Italy follow the real timeline until 1256-1260, date of flael uprise. For Byzantines history's changes assume that the first events in Byzance should be in 1266-1274 and political havoc caused by resurections and angelic appearance should rise some years later. Unfortunately, Bastion is not developping this region for now (mabe soon, I hope). Germany and Scandinavia's likely to be developped in the history timeline prior of Grece

during the Crozada Caeli, the presence of the Flael, the creatures, heck, the return of the feared Barbarossa!!

Specially, I'm interested in how would the bizantines interpret the presence of the angels in earth. And, of course, the Pope's escape to Avignon. The Patriarch must be really happy...

I'm assuming Andronikos II Palaiologos is the current Basileus. If anything, a suggestion of mine would have our good fellow Justinian I back. He was awesome, and the Greek Empire would sure benefit from his military and political skill. Also, Theodora would make for an interesting character, since we have Asmodai already... :lol: :lol:

Now, on with my questioning!!

Pietro Gradenigo, Doge of Veneza, had his Republic excomunicated due to his disputes with the Papacy (actually), but how does the Republic fares nowadays in Ex Illis? I can't see if Zara is in their hands What I can see, No Zara, still in the hand of Hungary still 1409, and the territory in the Charte seems small - not even reaching Verona, but perhaps Padua.

I think borders are aproximately, Lengadòc have some delimitation problems for me

Talking about Doges, I'm hoping to see Simone Boccanegra back at Genua. It would be just awesome to have him back, but I fear for his being since Seraphiel lies near.

Maybe he'll join Caesar in his fight against the Archangel, you're welcome to publish something on the wiki about Boccanegra, the same way I published Vercingetorix

I also think that, after the poor Dogeship of Gradenigo, perhaps Enrico Dandolo could be back as well. He did, after all, even in blindness, expand the Republic boundaries and wealth enourmously.

And still on Italia, how about the Lombard League? It originally stood as a militar union to face the Imperator, but since we have quite a number of living Emperors now, how does it stands?

Still using the league to protect themself (efficiently because of mammon and Broken Wing support)

I've heard Mammon may be lurking around... and are they still closely tied to De Hanze?

It's rumored to be involved directly on the two leagues politics

Since Barbarossa is back, I guess he might be coming down the Alps anywhere soon to try to bend our Comune once again. He wish, but lack of manpower. He allied himself with his grand son Friedrich II of Sicilia and Julius Caesar to reconquish Holy German Empire and Italia. The triumvirate fight against formidable foes (Seraphiel, Michael and Uriel) but manage to keep head over water. Up to now, Venesia is independant, and isn't integrated to Lombard league

On another topic, I've missed Ubertino de Casale. How could you guys left him out after getting Boniface VIII around!!!

Should be a head member of Minores order in Italia but still a secondary figure at the side of Bonifacius, Caesar and Seraphiel, in my mind Michael of Lengadòc should welcome him and have read with interest his Arbor Vitae Crucifixae Jesu Christi

OK, this is my interpretation and not involve Bastion opinion

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:34 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

Welcome
good stuff you should write a primer for us of this age

The focus and starting point of the Exillis world was the hundred year war with French and English , and the Scottish rebellion thrown in. This was there starting point ,I know they also are going to bring in the crusades and middle east history and units. They still have the Germanic units and the dwarfs to bring in .

I still looking for enough French units so i can have a decent French vs English battles as soon as they have enough units I hoping to recreate the battles of that period with and with out the flael .

I think the last few units were to sell the sex of the system and excite the fantasy crowd ( which the angels and emmys did) I hoping they will soon release units that are back in the historical line, as I know they can draw in more players from the histological tabletop gaming community which tend to be older and have more expendable income .

a Big hint of some of the people from history that have a good chance of appearing sometime in the future in Exillis , can be found by looking at the employees of Bastions usernames.

note that some are not in the time line the mists re-awoken some famous dudes from early times.

I being plunging that a little Jewish presence would show up in the game, so far one finger has made it (new items) , and I will hope for more ;)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:15 am 

Why, thanks for the comments!

Ghost, I realise that Bastion must taking some time into developing other places, but I was really intrigued when Bizantium did not appear at all - they were, at least until 1204, a major power within the Christendom, even if Orthodox. Through the Bizantine P-O-V, they are the true civilized people, the heirs of the Roman Empire, their Basileus is the TRUE emperor in every aspect.

I'me astonished he had nothing to say about this fragilized Europe. Once the Holy Empire started to get that divided, he could have interfeered, hoping to get his long-gone possessions in Italy, or beyond. Perhaps the Iconoclast Crisis is still running hard?

I've found your article about Vercingetorix, but unfortunatelly I can't read french. But perhaps I'll work out a little about Boccanegra.

Even though it's your take on the situation, you've had some interesting insights! Thanks!

Yosef, what really caught my eye on Ex Illis was the presence of both Hstorical and Mythological beings - on a historical Europe. It did appeal to me, because I'm a roleplayer after all! I still sell my soul to GW!!! :lol: :lol:

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:17 am 

Interesting questions! I've been wondering the same thing. I understand from talking with Mike Guyer that this game is really only set up to tackle Judeo-Christian fantasy mythology, (no elves/dwarves or other fantasy staples) in addition to historical aspects. While this is a small disappointment for me, It isn't too bad. Angels and demons are pretty fun to play with. However, when I start to think about other cultures in the region (especially the pagan religions). Are people throwing themselves on their swords as they watch their traditions die on the flames of Christianity's demigods made flesh? Or are their gods too becoming real? I know that in the 13th century, most of the Germanic pagan traditions were on the way out anyhow, but they certainly weren't extinguished.

As the game begins to explore other cultures, I wonder how it will handle the different mythologies that each culture held fast to? I for one, am excited to see the Thor and Odin (already named by items) make appearances with their Valkyries. For goodness sake, Heaven forbid we get into the eastern traditions. I really am looking forward to seeing as new cultures are added to the game, and while I suspect that It's going to be a battle between Yahweh and Satan for a while, I hope we get to see some other mythological armies too. Honestly, I can't wait to learn of a cabal who is hunting for relics even more ancient than those which belonged to Judeo-Christian traditions It will be fascinating to find that in a time of open war ancient secrets of the Olympian Pantheon may rise again. There's so much potential for development in a game in which forgotten gods slumber, waiting to be awakened once more. Meanwhile, I'm really going to enjoy kicking ass in the fantasy world that's being developed as it is.

Louis

P.S. I'd really like some elves and dwarves too, if the bastion team can find a place for them... Maybe too much time playing Warcraft II as a teenager.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:49 am 
Lead Spammer / Spammeur en chef

if you look closely in the fluff, dwarves are already here ;)

Part du principe que j'ai toujours raison, tu gagneras du temps
Life is a game, play it your way

http://ex-illis.com/wikipl/Category:Cadwe

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:58 am 

cadwe wrote:
if you look closely in the fluff, dwarves are already here ;)

Off to find it. Ah, right on the timeline page, but Why must everything be such an easter egg hunt with this game? lol. I expect them not to be the typical "we're scottish, and we like to kill things!" dwarves. Perhaps we get to see the norse dwarves, which are more like gnomes crossed with duergar (for those familiar with the D&D style races.) Either way I'm looking forward to having more diversity in my fantasy elements, as well as my historical ones.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:17 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

" heaven forbid we get into eastern religions"

well we do have the Mongolians already marching in most war bands . So hail the sky god who rained as the deity of the dominate religion of the Mongols in the 12 and 13 century before Buddhism drove it/ Him out , Tengriism could be honored with a few magic items to round out the history .

but for heaven sake lets get a little more Jewish in the judo- Christians religions that were in eroup at the time. I got to get my Israeli market going and we need some good Jewish boys in the game as they were in that game back then to make that happen

OH Mad rabbi come soon and save us

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:57 pm 

Yeah, I've spent a lot of hours in my youth playing Warcraft II (too, pun intended).

Well, actually in the 13th, most of the Mongols are already converted into Islamism. I'm not sure about our Huns, though...

But if one is making a Mongol army, using Tibetan Monks instead of the Mendicum sounds like a plan!

Yosef, I've really liked your take on the Jews. But you really need to make Golems out of those Soffrances!! :lol:

I've really missed the lack of mentioning of the Bizantine Empire - and the Orthodox Church, with it. Where's the Basileus!?! And what did the Patriarch said about the defeat of the Papacy after the Crozada Caeli?!? How about the Turks? And the Spaniards, and the Reconquista?!? And Portugal? (I'm brazilian, so I must ask about Portugal!)

Is Bizantium in civil war? Is the Monophysist and the Iconoclast Crisis still happening?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:36 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

Quote:
Yosef, I've really liked your take on the Jews. But you really need to make Golems out of those Soffrances!! :lol:

I geuss you never saw the picture of my converted lady into the rabbi with His earth golem banner gaurd

http://photobucket.com/images/Exillis/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ12

Attachment:
IMG_2486.jpg
IMG_2486.jpg [ 78.71 KiB | Viewed 6876 times ]

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:30 pm 

That's an interesting conversion to the rabbi. I also like the direction you've taken your soffrances. Honestly, they are my least favorite model so far. They require green stuff to even look good standard, and their right arm might as well not have a ball joint because no pose makes any sense other than the sort of standard one. The next time I model soffrances, I suspect I'll cut the arm near where the elbow should be, and add a bend using green stuff to add an elbow. I think this will have the effect of allowing more poses to look reasonable.

Anyway, I want some more fantasy stuff and the Germans. I know we get beastmen soon so I'm looking forward to that.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:04 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

groundedcontrol wrote:
That's an interesting conversion to the rabbi. I also like the direction you've taken your soffrances. Honestly, they are my least favorite model so far. They require green stuff to even look good standard, and their right arm might as well not have a ball joint because no pose makes any sense other than the sort of standard one. The next time I model soffrances, I suspect I'll cut the arm near where the elbow should be, and add a bend using green stuff to add an elbow. I think this will have the effect of allowing more poses to look reasonat.

Yes they had fewer parts to play with do not know if you seen the post on some of my other Soffrances . viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2055&hilit=+soffrance,

OfflineProfile