It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:08 pm

Post subject: Resin Moulds rather then metal.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:22 pm 

I was thinking last night, What would be the cost of making a Resin mould, i know you can do it at home, hell i have done it tons of times... *cough* on possible gw ... sprues... anyway!
Wondering when you take that over to a production level if it is cheaper then metal, I have been seeing more Resin pieces on the market, after salute, and for just a model, hero of some sort, they are A highly detailed, and B fairly priced, at least cheaper then alot of metal on the same level, if not slightly cheaper.

Just a thought.

You guys could even cut production costs and do it in the office!

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Resin Moulds rather then metal.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:19 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

extrusion plastic molds are completely different from, silicon are urethane molding process used to making resin cast models. Vulcanized rubber is aused in making spin cast molds for metal miniatures .

Three completely different processes. And in the case of the latter two it requires a sculpted piece to make the mold. But both processes are much less expensive than making an extrusion mold, but much more costly per piece.

Bastion has been using a process that takes3-D CAD programs of the model and create a a extrusion mold directly from digital information. the detail that and anatomically correct proportions that Exillis mold has is one of its unique characteristics that sets it apart from others in the industry and should attract historical buffs. they are beautiful compared to the cartoon figures of GW fantasy.

I do feel that silicon molds and resin cast has a place in the Exillis family.

Take for example a magical altar, not needing to be sculpted on every surface, ( resin cast always has one side that is flat where you pour in the resin.

A magical altar or item that acts like a unit with the exception that it cannot move influencing some magical property radiating out from it center a few tiles. even using the existing code for some to create similar effects already in the game.

To me this is an inexpensive way to bring in new product and maintain the high quality that Bastion has demonstrated with their other products.

although resin foam casting would be more appropriate for the following: A gate, a wall section, a battering ram with crew, a bridge, baggage train, treasure chest full of gold a retrievable magical item on an altar,

There are countless of companies that produce such items that work out of garages and basements can be done very low budget, and still look very nice. Grassroots entrepreneur is sometimes a necessary step to maintain companys existence.

small Swarm units, would also work for this type of casting.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:52 am 

I take that as a yes? it is possible, and a good suggestion oh master yosef.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:33 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

:lol: there is no such thing as a bad suggestion in my worldview, everything should be used to help the creative process and so your statement has validity.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:26 am 

How about we should train Squirrels to use nuts filled with semtex, to blow up tanks? thus taking over the world with our squirrel army!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:13 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

I believe that study was done in the late 60s early 70s on a variety of animals with having the most success with dolphins.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:47 am 

The type of molds that have a flat spot for the pour are mostly on single side box type molds.

i make 2part molds all the time...

The problem with 2part silicon molds for resins is that they have a limited lifespan for quality and the resin will expand and contract contributing to the lifespan issue. becuase of humidity and temp issues - you cannot get consistent casting like you can in metal molds, thats why they are used commercially.

what would you like to see in a resin game piece? I will sculpt it, cast it, and could have it ready in maybe 30days or less.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:10 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

glad to know you do two part molds ;)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:52 pm 

Hero miniatures, Terrain , Game Tiles and animals

If you could some how sculpt a Rabbit model i would love you, and kiss you, and ... well hug you ?

OfflineProfile