It is currently Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:41 pm

Post subject: Singature suggestion
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:24 pm 

I'll preface this by saying, with the exception of one part, I love the design of the signature and I am grateful that it was provided for us. I think it was a great idea, well executed.

That said, I have concerns with the signature including my full name. Is it really necessary? I would prefer to keep my personal details private. Obviously, I've made changes to mine, and it wasn't difficult, but I won't be able to take advantage of the auto-update.

Would the devs consider removing that aspect of the signature? OR allowing users to modify the Name field under Basic Info on the profile page? Does anyone prefer to have their name in their sig?

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Singature suggestion
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:42 am 
I could not be a traitor to Edward, for I was never his subject.

If we were primarily an online game, I guess that I would put an option on this. But, as you will mostly face off people you know, and that we want to be more of a social game than an online game, getting to know the other people by their name is a step forward: think about facebook.

Actually, even blizzard is aiming in that direction, as people act more sensibly to each other when they are acting with their real name. A thing is certain, rendering the name in the image will reduce the possibility to 'find' what you have posted using your name almost impossible, so you don't have to fear a future employer from finding you by those, which is not the case with facebook like posts ;)

Should there be enough request, we could perhaps make another design which would replace the real name by something else, but more though should go in it :)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:55 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

I agree with Wallace this game draws a more mature crowd, look at the forum non of the nonsense you usually find on boards.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:30 am 

I'd also prefer that my name didn't show. While the community here is responsible, this is a public board on the internet, and that information can get out quite easily, even in an image. It's not a huge deal to me, but I'd certainly appreciate a change on that end.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:02 am 

To put one of my concerns into perspective: "Brilder" is also my forum handle on some other websites, as well as part of my email address. Anyone who has my email address or has seen me on other forums only needs to google "Brilder" and go to the third page of results to find my ex-illis posts. That result will slowly migrate to the first page as I make more posts here. Ecllection's post already appears on the first page if I google him.

Also, the signatures have our forum handles in the filename, so they could appear on image searches.

So you see why someone completely foreign to this site and the game could gain information about me due to the sig image. I have zero hang-ups about other ex-illis players; I have no problem revealing personal information to them and ONLY them. Likely, I'll be sending friend requests to everyone I play with.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:26 am 
I could not be a traitor to Edward, for I was never his subject.

What I was saying, is that we didn't connect your real name to your forum identity, not the reverse. That's the 'way' it is problematic, not the other around (ie, if the future employer found out your game username, there's nothing we can do to prevent them finding your posts).

But, as I said, we'll put some more though in this.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:27 am 

I have refused downloading a signature for that very reason.

NO PERSONAL INFO. EVER!

I have nothing to hide,however after watching my sister deal with identity theft that took her over 3 years to recover from, I am very careful about who gets my info.

Only my administrative assistant has my direct email. If its coming from me or to me, I have a human buffer in-between. Yeah, I'm that crazy about it.

As a U.S. Resident, you may have problems with the Sarbanes-Oxley legislation. As a former SOX policy wonk in the corporate world, this could create a finable offense to give out protected company information in an IT setting.

Thanks for the iPad update of exillis today!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:41 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

I will agree with Brilder here. I think we should have an option to not have our real names in our sigs. I think I may leave mine in, but I would like the option of using this nice tool without it.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:52 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

I don't care about having my name in there, I'd just like it to not reflect our trial units in the counts ;)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:36 am 
Lead Spammer / Spammeur en chef

same here. counting trail sucks

Part du principe que j'ai toujours raison, tu gagneras du temps
Life is a game, play it your way

http://ex-illis.com/wikipl/Category:Cadwe

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:18 pm 

+1