It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:05 am

Post subject: Look and feel
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 1:55 pm 
Stupor Mundi

Plastic engineering has gone a LONG way over the years. Now, Bastion is lucky enough to set its artistic direction in a time where we can really benefit from all these advancements. The technology has gone to the point we have to refrain ourselves from making too fine details because they become too difficult to paint.

With such great tools in hand, we chose to go with a realistic look and feel. Details, size of weapons, hands, heads and other anatomical proportions are much closer to real human proportions. This is especially obvious when you’re holding an Ex illis figurine in one hand and a standard one in the other. While this may seem odd at first, the end result is that you really feel like you’re seeing ‘miniature people’ fighting on the battlefield.

Another choice which may be a clash for some is that we decided to design our characters much more with usefulness in mind rather than sheer look. This means that each piece is designed with the battlefield in mind and, for example, we wouldn’t be making an armour look all fancy if it becomes too delicate to withstand the blow from an ogre, or make it so cumbersome that no one in his right mind would go to war wearing that. Also, following our alternate history setting, we decided to make the type of light, medium and heavy armours in a slightly different direction than what should be available in 1309, but we also do it with narrative consistency in mind! ;-)

A player once made a funny comment about the Marrenne character not having enough cleavage to his taste. :-) I had a chance to talk and explained how we felt that she might actually have too much cleavage for a lady in 1309 (it’s a harsh time for a lone woman, especially if she looks good!) but that fits her character when you look into her past and all. I explained to him that, while I find the concept of bikini-chainmail amusing, we’ll probably not see things like that in Ex illis, and why it wouldn’t make sense in the world we’re creating.

I think he liked the answer. :-)

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Look and feel
PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:31 pm 

I found it funny: you say that Ex Illis will be the game that emphasizes the "realistic" looks of armor or weapons. I say that the fancy delicate armor would work against an ogre's blow just as well as medieval armor. You know why? Because there were no ogres.
Applying laws of physics to a fantasy setting (even low fantasy) gets pretty funny when you are very selective.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:53 pm 

I'm sorry Bak, but I have to disagree with you there.

Every world be it fantasy, sci fi or whatever has to have rules to work by. Try creating a world and see how long you can go without designing rules for it to exist within. Take a world that's not supposed to have rules and make ridiculous suggestions to its creator and see hown long it takes him to start defining rules.
The idea that people can write fan-fiction in fantasy worlds shows just how well defined those worlds' rules must be, for the fans to be able to understand them well enough towrite within them.
Furthermore, all these worlds rules are based on our own, otherwise you'd end up with some world with it's own fundemental principles which will be utterly inconceivable to any human. While the notion is certainly intregueing, it doesn't end up being much fun to play in, as noone understands the rules.

In this specific case, Ex Illis seems to have two main parts to it's world: The realistic historical part, and the "Flael" which brings fantastic, mythological elements into the world. In this situation it doesn't seem ridiculous at all to suggest that the realistic part will react in a realistic way, while the fantastic part will react in a fantastical way.
Dispite the fact there were no ogres, it doesn't take too much effort to work out what they would be like if they were to enter our world, after all, we have plenty of animals to work off, such as elephants and girrafes. If any reasonable craftsman were to designarmour to protect against the strength of an ogre, he may well use the principles he has learnt in trying to defend against already extant and known war machines or animals. He would be unlikely to decide that as he's never seen an ogre before that he should build armour designed to principles utterly alien to him and build thin filligree armour.

Sorry for going on a bit, but I really don't understand why going for a realistic look and feel is amusing, nor why basing your world's laws of physics on the real world's laws of physics should be ridiculous

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:05 pm 
Stupor Mundi

Interesting points. And truth being told, when all is said and done it all boils down to a matter of personal tastes (as is usually the case with art in general). Some people will appreciate the ‘realistic fantasy’ we try to create; some people just won’t see much of the point. There’s not much we can do, and it’s perfectly fine too.

What we CAN do, however, is talk about the artistic intentions behind what we do.

What we wanted to do is come up with a narrative that is thoroughly researched and then bring the same care and love to the minis we produce. This is not to say we want to do historical accuracy (which would even be a bit out of place considering the 65 years of alternate history). We rather like to start with what was indeed present at the time and then imagine the ‘What if’ that Ex illis proposes. How do the constant conflicts would have impacted the evolution of weaponry? How do the presence of new creatures and enemies would have mixed things up? Do the equipment we present make sense on a practical stand point? Etc.

And that’s just a blast to do! :D

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:03 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

so far i have really like the look of the pics posted in the media areas, and the models themselfs and i look forward to what soilders/fantasy creatures we may see from other areas of the world/countries as the game grows. So far i really like the The Franc Chevalers, Arbalestiers and of coarse the Decurion, i mean come on its a full plate mail wearing angel.

Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:02 pm 
Imperator Inter Homines

Quote:
i mean come on its a full plate mail wearing angel.

What I find even more awesome is that he's a full plate mail wearing, badass two-handed sword wielding angel... selling his services to the highest paying mercenary company.

I find that this really shows how compelling our world can be :)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:41 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

Charlemagne wrote:
Quote:
i mean come on its a full plate mail wearing angel.

What I find even more awesome is that he's a full plate mail wearing, badass two-handed sword wielding angel... selling his services to the highest paying mercenary company.

I find that this really shows how compelling our world can be :)

i agree, and this is one of the reasons i'm looking forward to what future models may come out. Do you all plan on more things like Trolls, harpys,undead.....or human models like flail using horsemen, or two handed claymore weilding scottmen? what i like about the game is i can see it being either or both.

Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:33 pm 
Stupor Mundi

Quote:
Do you all plan on more things like Trolls, harpys,undead.....or human models like flail using horsemen, or two handed claymore weilding scottmen

Definitely both!
And we'll have the room for spare bits, accessories and dynamic poses this time! :D

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:34 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

must have a scottsman throwing a HUGE rock.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:40 pm 
I could not be a traitor to Edward, for I was never his subject.

What about me tossing a smaller rock ? ;)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:56 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

that would require a base add-on of a HUGE scottsman dizzy and falling... :twisted:

OfflineProfile