It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:13 am

Post subject: First Units assembled
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:18 pm 

Eight Vileins assembled and ready for painting. I am a novice at miniature assembly and painting, so take these comments for what they are worth.
Detail is excellent from the lacing on the leather boots to the rivets holding the pitchforks to their handles. Heads and hands look better than the majority of minis I have seen. They are not huge and oversized and fit the bodies very well. I found the accessory belt with the sickle the most difficult to detach and broke one when clipping it off. Took more care with the remaining ones and didn't break any more. There are some small mold lines, but nothing that a quick scrape with the flat of a blade didn't take care of. Overall, from a novices perspective, these are very nice minis. Just hope I can do them justice when I get to paint!

Hedgewriter

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: First Units assembled
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:21 pm 

As another novice, I'm glad to know this. I can't wait to have my box to assemble my minis.

What kind of glue did you use?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:39 pm 

Picked up a bottle of Plastic Glue at Games Workshop, but any polystyrene cement should do the trick.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:41 pm 
I could not be a traitor to Edward, for I was never his subject.

Hedgewriter wrote:
Eight Vileins assembled and ready for painting. I am a novice at miniature assembly and painting, so take these comments for what they are worth.
Detail is excellent from the lacing on the leather boots to the rivets holding the pitchforks to their handles. Heads and hands look better than the majority of minis I have seen. They are not huge and oversized and fit the bodies very well. I found the accessory belt with the sickle the most difficult to detach and broke one when clipping it off. Took more care with the remaining ones and didn't break any more. There are some small mold lines, but nothing that a quick scrape with the flat of a blade didn't take care of. Overall, from a novices perspective, these are very nice minis. Just hope I can do them justice when I get to paint!

Hedgewriter

The knife accessory on the belt was originally very easy to detach / break. It's still not perfect, but we have improved it. Anyway, I found a use of the knife, putting it in the hands of one of my vileins :)

I made him the captain of my unit, and he even inherited a shield from his father, shield which he carries on his back.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:09 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

A couple of words of advise to anyone completely new to hobby gaming.

1) wash your models with soap and warm water while still on the sprue. Mold release can react with the spray primmer and cause a fuzz effect that ruins the look of the model

2) clean the mold lines by GENTLY scrape-ing (sp?) an exacto blade against the line gently. Use a sharp blade or you may see some funny cut marks on your models

3) use 2 part epoxy putty aka green stuff to fill in the gaps that can sometimes result by the pieces of the models not lining up perfectly.

4) Apply a thin coat of spray primer to you model so that the acrylic paint has something to adhere too

I know these tips are super basic, but if they help 1 person it was worth it.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:07 am 

MadNes wrote:
A couple of words of advise to anyone completely new to hobby gaming.

1) wash your models with soap and warm water while still on the sprue. Mold release can react with the spray primmer and cause a fuzz effect that ruins the look of the model

2) clean the mold lines by GENTLY scrape-ing (sp?) an exacto blade against the line gently. Use a sharp blade or you may see some funny cut marks on your models

3) use 2 part epoxy putty aka green stuff to fill in the gaps that can sometimes result by the pieces of the models not lining up perfectly.

4) Apply a thin coat of spray primer to you model so that the acrylic paint has something to adhere too

I know these tips are super basic, but if they help 1 person it was worth it.

Thanks for the tips! I noticed that one about the sharp blade when scraping the mold lines, if it isn't sharp it kind of chatters along the plastic and leaves small cuts like a washboard. I cleaned it up with some very fine sandpaper and it looks fine.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:19 am 

As another tip if you are using the plastic glue quickly file the contact points and leave the residue it makes the cement tackier and means you don't have to hold it for as long to set.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:15 pm 

darkwolf wrote:
As another tip if you are using the plastic glue quickly file the contact points and leave the residue it makes the cement tackier and means you don't have to hold it for as long to set.

Yeah, this works really well with plastic minis. You can also do a "cross hatch" on larger sections with an exacto knife, sort of like they do with pottery if you've ever seen that. Basically just cut a small checkerboard with your knife.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:30 pm 

Have both starters assembled and primed...one set black and the other white to differenciate the two starters until I can get them painted...have green spray paint for the tiles, but haven't started that yet.

Tim

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:50 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

wow. i'm not even done assembling... how long did it take you to do 1 complete set before priming. Do you base figs before or after priming?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:20 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

I usually base before priming as I prefer to paint my flock rather than natural colors. The spray primer makes for a very good sealant in that respect.

I have one set put together and primed with all the fleudian (spelling?) parts fully painted. I wanted to leave my troops until I see more examples of soft factions and painted troops to get some ideas for my proper army.

Ideally I would like to shoot for Arthur's army, but with most of the starter troops being french I imagine they will not be useful in that respect.

~Joe

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:17 am 

MadNes wrote:
wow. i'm not even done assembling... how long did it take you to do 1 complete set before priming. Do you base figs before or after priming?

This is my first 'adventure' into miniature assembly and painting...I went the easy route for now and just assembled and mounted on base with no flocking, gravel, etc...yet....I then just spray primed one starter white and one starter black...painting will be ALONG time off unfortunately...

One starter is mine and the other is my 10 year old son...he is wanting to paint his own minis and I 'may' let him...I'm not the best painter either, so he probably won't me much different than my own...lol...

Tim

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:28 am 

Great job guys!

I have all of my figs based, with flock/gravel and primed. I've been working on painting the tiles. Also started the Decurion last night.

Hope to start posting pictures here as I go. WIP's and finished work.

Captain Mysto Out!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:32 am 

tfelts wrote:
One starter is mine and the other is my 10 year old son...he is wanting to paint his own minis and I 'may' let him...I'm not the best painter either, so he probably won't me much different than my own...lol...
Tim

I recommend you let him start painting as early as possible, miniature painting is like addiction, you are either get addicted or you don't, and if he gets addicted he will grow very quickly as a painter given his young age and you may find that you have a budding artist on your hands (if he doesn't get addicted then he will probably get sick of painting after trying on 3 or 4 models and you won't be out much). Keep in mind, my son is only two so his miniature gaming experience is that I let him play with some of my AT-43 dudes (which he breaks -- no big deal to me), but I figure it is always best to expose kids to new experiences earlier rather than later. As soon as he can handle a brush I'll have him painting for sure. However, a better example is that my father encouraged my brother and I to start out on Airfix stuff when we were kids, my brother hated it, I loved it, so I ended up with all of his minis which I still have about 30 years later. I started the whole Warhammer thing about 20 years ago, and it has been a pleasurable addiction my whole life.

The opinions in common to all the Cathari are these. This world, and all the things that are in it, were created by the devil. All the sacraments of the Church, to wit, the sacrament of baptism by material water, are false sacraments.
-- Reinerius Sacco

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:24 am 

I'm in the same logic with my girl who is 12 years old. She is painting her baneret (her first miniature) and will have her own starter to paint as she likes the 54 models.
She is waiting for the heroe Marenne, she loves her very much in draw with her light wings.

OfflineProfile