It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:12 pm

Post subject: Enfid's army
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:31 am 

Okay, so after almost a year of having the minis assembled and standing around in plastic grey, I decided to paint them. At first I wanted a straight green-blue bi colour scheme, but I settled on a blue-grey/turquoise instead. As it turns out...

...I'm wondering what's everyone's opinions are... I think the colours may be a bit too muted compared to 'standard' table top gaming.

I already have the entire team of arbalestiers painted, and it'll be a big pain in the patooie to repaint them. :(

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Enfid's army
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:20 am 

I really like the color scheme

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:27 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

Nice work can't wait to see the up see how the FC turned out,.. What color are you going to paint the Soffrance ?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:52 pm 

Nicely painted! I like the subtle highlights on the billman.
I think the muted colours give it a more realistic feel than cartoony 'standard' table top gaming colours.

One point is that the heraldry on the arbalestier's shield is odd, historically turquoise was rarely used. And two colours (or metals) on top of each other was forbidden in heraldry.
Have you considered painting the army using differed colour schemes, like bretonnia armies?

Nice painting, I love to see more of it.

Lord Ok

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:54 pm 

Lord Ok wrote:
Nicely painted! I like the subtle highlights on the billman.
I think the muted colours give it a more realistic feel than cartoony 'standard' table top gaming colours.

One point is that the heraldry on the arbalestier's shield is odd, historically turquoise was rarely used. And two colours (or metals) on top of each other was forbidden in heraldry.
Have you considered painting the army using differed colour schemes, like bretonnia armies?

Nice painting, I love to see more of it.

Lord Ok

Actually I have heard of that heraldry colour rule, and somehow I completely ignored it. As for the presence of turquoise colour or anything non-historical...I'll just say "Flael influence did it". :D Plus, my impression is that if one stick to strictly historical, everyone will end up with combinations of red, blue and yellow colours. So I thought I'll deviate a little at the cost of historical accuracy.

Though looking at Medieval Total War, I'm thinking some white colour in stripes may go well with the green-blue I have here. If not that, I might use white to break up the arbalestier's shields.

As for the colour schemes, I prefer to keep the look of the army consistent. For the knights though, I'm thinking I'll be painting them as Knights Hospitallers, as I always have an admiration for this order.

For the soffrances, I'm thinking grey washed with blue. I want an impression of a creature that is wrapped in its own skin like if you wrap a human up with those plastic wraps, but the wrap is opaque.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:57 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

Very nice.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:04 am 

I decided to paint white stripes onto the arbalestiers. Turns out it looks pretty good, and I just got a way to differentiate different squads of the same unit type.

I'm think of using the white to do that. I'm thinking:
- No white
- Solid white
- Diagonal stripes
- Horizontal stripes
- Vertical stripes
- Checkerboard

Which means I'll have room for 6 squads of the same unit. Should be plenty for now.

For the heraldry though, I'll leave it blue-turquoise as I still want the overall army to look blue/greennish without turning too much into blue/white, at the cost of the heraldry colour rule.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:31 am 

Wow amazing, nice sharp lining!
The complete unit looks very impressive.

Do you use a black undercoat?

The white will make them tie in with the Hospitallers.
Maybe a small blueish/turquoise highlight on the Hospitallers black robes makes them tie in with the rest?

Lord Ok

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:33 am 

Nice , i like the paints in the back ground ;) muahhaha.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:53 pm 
Instigator of the Crozada Coeli

Nice painting job Enfid !
Keep it up :D

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:05 am 

Got some sample cavalry!

Hobelar

FC (Knight Hospitaller)

Two issues:

1) The Knight Hospitallers's official combat colours from 1248 onwards are red surcoats with white cross emblazoned on it, but I decided to stick with black (their civilian colours) because it seemed more representative. Artistic license, and what not.

2) This one's a question: I have read about the Knight Templar in Ex Illis, but what would have been the role of Knight Hospitallers in the Ex Illis timeline? I have read briefly about them, but still unsure where they fit in Ex Illis. I'll need to think in case I feel it doesn't suit my fluff (which is actually not set in stone yet).

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:54 am 

Nice painting, and very fast to! :o
Keep the pictures coming.

Lord Ok

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:31 am 

Looking good.
Makes me think i should finish mine ad post some photo :oops:

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:36 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

yes I don't quite know the story I would also like to hear I think they are Celtic light Calvary, perhaps from Ireland.

Could you explain how you painted your FC is the lighter blue dry brush?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:59 am 

The Knight Hospitallers's base of power on the Islands of Rhodes at the time Ex Illis is set.
They made there home on Rhodes in 1309 which was part of the Byzantine Empire at the time.
In the Ex Illis world I would say that you would find a lot of them in the army's of Friedrich II of Sicilia and Barbarossa who both rule what is left of the Holy Roman Empire. For that matter you could also add Julius Caesar who in 1309! became part of a Triumvirate with the other 2 to fight Attlia the Hun in Hungary. ;)
(info taken from Ex Illis Wiki. There is a lot of extra info in the peoples section)
I believe they had recruiting Hostiles all over Europe though, so you could have a small unit helping out a locale lord were ever you need them. ;) :D

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:50 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

UtherDracus wrote:
The Knight Hospitallers's base of power on the Islands of Rhodes at the time Ex Illis is set.
They made there home on Rhodes in 1309 which was part of the Byzantine Empire at the time.
In the Ex Illis world I would say that you would find a lot of them in the army's of Friedrich II of Sicilia and Barbarossa who both rule what is left of the Holy Roman Empire. For that matter you could also add Julius Caesar who in 1309! became part of a Triumvirate with the other 2 to fight Attlia the Hun in Hungary. ;)
(info taken from Ex Illis Wiki. There is a lot of extra info in the peoples section)
I believe they had recruiting Hostiles all over Europe though, so you could have a small unit helping out a locale lord were ever you need them. ;) :D

thanks can you send the link of where you found that

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:19 pm 

For the Ex Illis people it would be here:-

http://ex-illis.com/wikien/People

And Basic info on the Knight Hospitallers try here ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_Hospitaller

I most say that there black clothing does look better than the red combat colour too 8-)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:06 am 

UtherDracus wrote:

Thanks for the sources and the summary! I have been reading through them and I must say I'm completely in love with this faction (or the triumvirate of it). I might paint Sicilia's coat of arms on more prominant flat areas.

And now to wait for Sicilia to be a playable faction...

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:17 pm 

NP
I have been going though my warbands from when I played in large (10 people a side) hundred year war games and found one has been painted in the war colours of the Knight Hospitallers that I forgot I had. :lol:
There are several faction that I wish were playable. The triumvirate being the main one 8-)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:55 pm 

yosefbender wrote:
yes I don't quite know the story I would also like to hear I think they are Celtic light Calvary, perhaps from Ireland.

Could you explain how you painted your FC is the lighter blue dry brush?

Ohh sorry I forgot to answer your question. It's a light shade of blue just painted on as block. Then I wash the entire padded are with blue wash.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:38 am 

Just a bit of an update, sorry for double posting. I am also have constructed and used a photo box to take pictures for these.

First are the Soffrances, who I named "Famine" and have done them in a winter-y snow colour scheme.

Next are the Ympes who I decide to keep the overall colour neutralish aside from their red skin because I'm not including them in my main army.

And the last one, a test colour for Serjants, the first unit having a checkerboard pattern.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:32 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

wow that is a Bad A** job , I never been able to do checker's that well what is your secret ?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:45 am 

I do like the way the colours look.
How are you planning to keep track of the units (of the same type) in the muster lists?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:38 pm 

looking nice!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:29 am 

yosefbender wrote:
wow that is a Bad A** job , I never been able to do checker's that well what is your secret ?

I outlined the squares with slightly watered down white paint, and a really steady hand. You want to outline all the way instead of a box at a time, so the pattern is mostly parallel. Then fill the squares and try to keep the edges straight and crisp. Ideally you would want the white and blue areas to have roughly equal sizes, so the outlining needs to be really thin. Even in my example the white is just a bit larger than the blue areas, but not too badly. I takes a LOT of time and I don't think I'll have another unit with checkerboard pattern for a while.

UtherDracus wrote:
I do like the way the colours look.
How are you planning to keep track of the units (of the same type) in the muster lists?

The next unit of Spearmen, for example, will have horizontal stripes of white instead of the checkerboard pattern. I'm hoping it'll differentiate them at a glance, and if not, one can always look closer.

And here's the entire unit of Spearmen done! As I said, I'm not doing another unit with Checkerboard for a while.

OfflineProfile