It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:14 pm

Post subject: Re: Enfid's army
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:41 pm 

I can understand that, I once did checkerboard pattern on a ¼ shield pattern and decided that I would not do it again. :lol:
I was thinking of how you were going to mark the unites in the computer program to make it easy for the other player to understand were your units are to when they get to go next.
The reason I was asking was like you my main army has a family colour and keeping track in the program of the units is more import for the opponent than me because i know which is which. 8-)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:16 am 

Ah I see. Well, for this unit I just presented I named "Spearman (Checkerboard)" so when their turn comes or when one clicks on the unit it'll be evident. I still have problems about how to make them visually distinctive on the computer though. :?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:48 am 

Got the first hero done! I went for a minimalistic design on her. I may go for a more complex design for the next Marrenne.

I paid special attention to the face, which took about an hour. I tried to go for a naive, young look, hence the large eyes. Yeah, I was using anime strategy for this. :P I'm quite happy about it.

Introducing Morna, the Boterflye. She's a Seelie, and is practically the moral compass for my Baron. :D

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:26 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

wonderful job, you must have a really steady hand :!: :!:

seldom do I see eyes on a 25 mm I hope when your armies done you post it on wiki

I'll have to get used to do some commission work for me, sadly with my age my finer painting skills have been lost to my poor vision.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:11 pm 

very nice I went with a sold black look to my ones eyes it made her look more other worldly :D

Enfid wrote:
Ah I see. Well, for this unit I just presented I named "Spearman (Checkerboard)" so when their turn comes or when one clicks on the unit it'll be evident. I still have problems about how to make them visually distinctive on the computer though. :?

I have also tried uploading a photo in to the collation list in the hope that it would use it in the program but it does not. At the moment I think I will be painting my "2nd" units up as broken wing.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:24 am 

One solution I thought of was to colour a part of a unit's base and have that correspond to some part on the unit protrait. The helmet, perhaps?

Anyway, here's a preview of the next unit(s) I'll be working on. I was a quarter of a way through the other three Franc Chevalers, but I don't like painting all those complicated barding much. Ofcourse, them always charging forward and getting themselves killed first thing in the games I've played didn't earn them good favour from me either. :P

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:59 am 

Got the mangonel done, but after getting the main engine done, I started to ponder about the heraldry. I'm a fan of the line of thinking that the most important part of a heraldry is one single unique symbol, and the colour is secondary. I know it's unconventional to the medieval European way of doing things, but this makes me happier.

Here's the original symbol on the banner (that came with the cavalry) and on the mangonel, representing affluent wealth:

However, after a day or two after finishing them, I'm not happy with it. Something just bugs me. So I repainted the symbol with something of a symbol of mine, which doubles as something Celtic inspired.

After which I'm much happier. And here's the siege engine with the crews with horizontal stripes:

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:21 am 

Enfid wrote:
I'm a fan of the line of thinking that the most important part of a heraldry is one single unique symbol, and the colour is secondary. I know it's unconventional to the medieval European way of doing things, but this makes me happier.

In fact that is the starting standard of Heraldry it only starts to get more complicated when powerful families were joined by marriage or there were several sons.
During the “War of the Roses” in England (1455ish to 1485ish) most of the lords went back to the simple method but I believe that it was also used a lot by the mercenary groups during the Hundred year war’s.
For idea you may find these site’s helpfull
http://www.battle-flag.com/index.html
http://grimsbywargamessociety.webs.com/ ... nloads.htm

Your 1st flag made me think of Japanese Heraldry, I do like your 2nd one does look nice and Celtic. ;)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:53 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

wow I really enjoy a good paint job paint job, be sure to take a picture of the entire Army and post it thanks again for such inspiration.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:27 pm 

UtherDracus wrote:
Enfid wrote:
I'm a fan of the line of thinking that the most important part of a heraldry is one single unique symbol, and the colour is secondary. I know it's unconventional to the medieval European way of doing things, but this makes me happier.

In fact that is the starting standard of Heraldry it only starts to get more complicated when powerful families were joined by marriage or there were several sons.
During the “War of the Roses” in England (1455ish to 1485ish) most of the lords went back to the simple method but I believe that it was also used a lot by the mercenary groups during the Hundred year war’s.
For idea you may find these site’s helpfull
http://www.battle-flag.com/index.html
http://grimsbywargamessociety.webs.com/ ... nloads.htm

Your 1st flag made me think of Japanese Heraldry, I do like your 2nd one does look nice and Celtic. ;)

Thanks for the feedback, and yes, I practically stole the first heraldry from the Sanada clan :P . A shameful display. :oops:

And that information about complex heraldry makes a lot of sense. I think you start to realise that European history is not my forte. I got used to the idea of the female practically giving up her family/clan and joining the male's family, and as a consequence, their heraldry.

Anyway, I got a sample swordsman painted up. I collected all the Mongolian miniatures from the Serjants sprues and made them into 'Mongolian Swordsmen' unit. I painted him in a brownish-neutral colour in case I want to include this unit in another army. A mercenary unit, pretty much.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:38 pm 
Instigator of the Crozada Coeli

You have a clean painting style Enfid, impressive !

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:49 am 

Mongolian Swordsmen done!

I'll try to get the cavalry units done soon.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:11 pm 

They look good I may have to change some heads around :lol:
Once I get back from my hol's I will finish painting my mangonel crews. So far I have done one Mangonel in the family colours and the other 1 in Broken Wing colours.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:00 am 

The Hobelars are done! I really like the momentum the whole unit implies, even if they have the same pose.

This one in particular I tried to imitate a blue roan mark, though I'm not sure how it came out. It looked horrifying at first, but it looks ok now....I think.

Now I'm taking a little break to go do a different project briefly before coming back to do the Knight Baneret. It's really difficult to paint when it's so hot like Australia is right now. :P

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:31 am 

Presenting Judikael O Cuinn!

I'm still working on his background, but overall he's a French-born Celt and is now leading a small mercenary group.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:45 am 

I'm starting on the second spearmen unit. This unit has a vertical stripe pattern on one side.

Compared to a spearman of the first unit:

And guess what came in the mail today:

I have big plans for this guy here.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:31 am 
I could not be a traitor to Edward, for I was never his subject.

Just wow, I really like what you are doing :) Can't wait to see the Emissarius!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:09 am 

And now, the second unit of spearmen is finally done!

The back shows the patterns clearer.

Vertical stripes to the left, checkerboard to the right.

Combined and ranked up into one wall of shield and spears!

After two months, this is the army of practically all that I have painted, minus the one billman and one Franc Chevaler, and the unit of Ympes.

There are several more units that need painting. Now though, I think I'll start doing something with the Emissarius I just got...

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:24 pm 

Seems you are going for a very defensive based army, with a strong counter attack ability.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:52 am 

Something like that! I tend to play like that in many games.

A bit slow this week, but rest assured I'm still working on something Ex Illis!

I tried to upload a selection of my pictures onto boardgamesgeek, but got rejected because I put them in the wrong category :P I should go into the 'creative' folder and not the 'game' folder. I guess it makes sense when you come from a board game perspective...

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:55 am 

Ok, so I have been looking at this concept art of the Emissarius here:

And I thought "Man I really want the emmi to look like that. Hmmm I wonder if I can convert one to look like that..."

So after long planning, and then 3 weeks since I started on the project (which explains why I have no update on this painting log for a long time), I present to you:

The Emissarius

Mace detail

Belly cage detail

Its size on a section of the gaming board.

Unfortunately I'm a bit burned out on miniatures for a while (not to mention it's hot like hay here). I'll go back to my other hobby for the foreseeable future. I'll be back to painting when the weather in Australia gets cooler.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:50 am 

You should take that into your local gw shop and recruit some Ex illis peeps ;)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:35 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

THAT'S a conversion. Congrats you made the finest Emmy ever. Bastion should reward you. Do you want I put you photo on the wiki ?

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:00 pm 

ghost wrote:
THAT'S a conversion. Congrats you made the finest Emmy ever. Bastion should reward you. Do you want I put you photo on the wiki ?

If you can do that, that'll be great. I'll get it painted eventually.

I might also start uploading my other units into the wiki, seeing I won't be painting for a while.

By the way, I have been keeping a log of my conversion of the Emissarius. If anyone wants, I can post the process so you can convert one yourself.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:01 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

Best conversion ever.... That is truly impressive.

OfflineProfile