It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 7:19 pm

Post subject: Re: Enfid's army
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:41 am 

wow that is amazing I love the wing on it... :o

I would like to see your conversion log just so i can see how you did the wings 8-)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:38 pm 

UtherDracus wrote:
wow that is amazing I love the wing on it... :o

I would like to see your conversion log just so i can see how you did the wings 8-)

Since I have been spending time playing video games instead (specifically Katawa Shoujo and King Arthur II: The Role Playing Wargame, the latter giving me more inspiration for Ex Illis incidentally), I'll guide you to the site that I used to sculpt the wings.

http://www.greenstuffsculpting.com/2010/04/tutorial-wings.html

Look for the pdf link.

One thing to be careful of is to make sure the membrane stretch all the way to the creature's back, and not just end on the limb of the wing. It's a mistake I realised much later, but was too late to remedy.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:18 pm 

Wow ! You'r a pro painter !
Very good, i love the colors and all effects.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:29 am 

Sodam wrote:
Wow ! You'r a pro painter !
Very good, i love the colors and all effects.

Thankyou! It's quite unfortunate that I only paint stuff for gaming purposes, so I try to get them on the table while still looking presentable. An unfortunate side effect is my painting skill hit a ceiling and I never have the inspiration to practice blending and other advanced skills.

Anyway, I'm now working on the two game board I have before I paint the Emmy. I'll need to vent a little bit and call the game board the "OCD destroyer" for reasons I'll be explaining soon. Pictures of completed 8x5 board should be up on Saturday at the latest.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:08 am 

I already posted this in another thread, but I'll put it here too for completion of this project log:

Well, the game board is done! Note that I use Dulux colour for this.

I began by coating the whole board with Walnut Hull about two coats. Then I heavy dry brush several designated brown sections with Log Cabin, then a light drybrush of Tavern.

Then I paint the green parts with a pretty heavy drybrush/scrubbing of Scott's Pine twice, followed by Plantain medium drybrush, then light drybrush of Celery Green.

The first picture is taken with flash, and it appears very brown because of the underlying colour of brown across the board.
Here is with lighting and no flash, and the colour is much more green.

And now here with some terrain with flash.
And here with no flash.

I call the game board the "OCD Destroyer" simply because I really, really, REALLY tried to get the colour to be consistant across the board so that no matter the configuration, it won't look 'section-y' and edgy. The flash really accentuate that, but the natural light makes it much more bearable.

One warning, be really, really careful when trying to re-highlight some parts with Celery Green, because I screwed up a section by making it too light, so I needed to repair the section from brown all over again, because if you start with the darkest shade of green it will still be too green.

Next up:

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:44 pm 

I guess the misses is not happy that you have taken over room the living room ?lol
Nice.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:16 am 

That's that thing C.williams; I got no missus at this house. I live with my two younger brothers, because we're all single and are all too busy with studying to find a missus. :D

Anyway, the Emi~ is coming along fine, but I do have a question I want to get opinions on. What exactly is the head of the mace made of, according to the original concept art? Leather? Metal? Paper?? I can't tell what it's supposed to be.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:22 am 

Enfid wrote:
Anyway, the Emi~ is coming along fine, but I do have a question I want to get opinions on. What exactly is the head of the mace made of, according to the original concept art? Leather? Metal? Paper?? I can't tell what it's supposed to be.

It is possible that it is some sort of masonry/rubble block covered in some sort of sheet to try and keep it all together :?:

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:28 am 

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand three (!) months later, I'm able to find time in my studies to complete the Emissarius!

I went for a very earthy, gritty scheme. I wasn't confident enough to go for something a bit more vibrant/otherworldly.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:45 am 

A little update here. I present what I thought should be the marketing point of this game, because it is truly unique to this game only (well, until Mantic Miniatures decided to do it just recently). Angels!

I always like referring to them what is to Ex Illis what Space Marines is to Warhammer 40K: Gigantic heavily armed and armoured elite blessed troops. Badarse angels.

Each set comes with 3 pairs of standing legs, and 3 pairs of 'flying' legs, but since I want a consistant feel across the unit I swapped the legs so that the nephillims all get the standing legs, and the evocatis all get flying legs.

I have to say I'm very happy with this kit, compared to several other kits done by this company. There's also bare head options, but I prefer soldiers with full armour. A complaint is the lack of variations of legs. I would have liked another pair each for the standing and flying poses.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:39 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

cannot wait to see how you paint them ;)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:02 am 

I got the first Nephillim painted. I was going to painted them to look dilapidated, but decided against it, since I want them to look consistant with my clean-looking army.

Hmmm I just have this idea of painting the fallen Nephillim to be clean, as they have been picked up by a well-intentioned mortal in a noble quest, but paint the Evocati (angels) to instead look worn and dirty, as they have been casted out by the church (in the background, IIRC) and have been hanging out with bands of zealots instead.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:09 pm 
Instigator of the Crozada Coeli

Your Emmissarius is the Greatest of them all !!!

And your Nephilim are very nice as well ;)
It's just that... well, after seeing the Big Demon's conversion, nothing seems impressive anymore :o

:D

OfflineProfile