It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:20 pm

Post subject: Painting the game board
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:01 am 

I got two sets of the game board and I'm about to go down to the DIY stores to get large quantities of paint. I'm just curious to know Bastion's way of painting the board, and the approximate or actual colours they used. I want a natural-looking board like they have on the official picture, and not a uniform green throughout the entire board. I guess I'm asking for a technique or process to make the greens and browns blend well, and what exact tone of colours they used. (I'm asking mainly because I have done the mistake of having the colours to intense and it became too cartoony in my past boards)

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Painting the game board
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:16 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

I've actually seen several different versions I don't think there is an official bastion way :?

but starting with darker green base and dry brushing your way up through lighter tones is usually the way you paint any thing like that.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:34 am 

I count the one that they use on their Game Board box here as their official one:

It looks more natural than many others that I have seen. I would like to emulate their style.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:54 am 

I think they started with a layer of brown, not to dark or reddish. Maybe citadel Graveyard Earth.
Then a green drybrush, something like citadel Camo Green, leaving patches of brown around the stonework.
And then highlight by lightly drybrushing a lighter green, maybe citadel Rotting Flesh.

Avoid flashy colours, like Dark Angels Green, but use more diluted and earthly colours.

I'm just guessing using the colour swatches I see on the GW site, I use vallejo mostly.
I hope it helps. ;)

Lord Ok

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:12 pm 

*cough* painting dvd*cough cough*

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:21 am 
Instigator of the Crozada Coeli

C.williams wrote:

That board was painted for real... and I participated in getting it done 8-)

That being said, it was something close to what LordOK describes, except no citadel colours were used :D

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:47 am 

BonifaciusVIII wrote:
C.williams wrote:

That board was painted for real... and I participated in getting it done 8-)

That being said, it was something close to what LordOK describes, except no citadel colours were used :D

Ofcourse not, Bonifacius, no one in the right mind would! :D . I like to test colours with what I have (which are mostly, from years of being a "GW hobbyist", Citadel colours), but go to the nearest DIY stores and get house painting colours in large quantities. I just need the right shade to compare so they can mix the correct shade.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:07 am 

Well, the game board is done! Note that I use Dulux colour for this.

I began by coating the whole board with Walnut Hull about two coats. Then I heavy dry brush several designated brown sections with Log Cabin, then a light drybrush of Tavern.

Then I paint the green parts with a pretty heavy drybrush/scrubbing of Scott's Pine twice, followed by Plantain medium drybrush, then light drybrush of Celery Green.

The first picture is taken with flash, and it appears very brown because of the underlying colour of brown across the board.
Here is with lighting and no flash, and the colour is much more green.

And now here with some terrain with flash.
And here with no flash.

I call the game board the "OCD Destroyer" simply because I really, really, REALLY tried to get the colour to be consistant across the board so that no matter the configuration, it won't look 'section-y' and edgy. The flash really accentuate that, but the natural light makes it much more bearable.

One warning, be really, really careful when trying to re-highlight some parts with Celery Green, because I screwed up a section by making it too light, so I needed to repair the section from brown all over again, because if you start with the darkest shade of green it will still be too green.

OfflineProfile