It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 7:30 pm

Post subject: Whiskymac"s English Crown Army
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:33 pm 

Hi all,
Whiskymac asked me to paint his English Crown Army using the "army painter" technic so I though I would share how it came out.
The Units
Franc Chevalers
Hobelars
2 units of Longbowmen
2 units of Billmen
Vileins
Arbalestiers
Serjants Swordsmen
Mendicum Minores

OfflineProfile  
 Post subject: Re: Whiskymac"s English Crown Army
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:43 pm 

Now for the hero's and monster, most of them I painted in the normal way.
Decurion
Decurion with angle wings
Marrenne
Dismounted Baneret "Army painter technic"
Mounted Baneret "Army painter technic"
Red Ympes "Army painter technic"
Black Ympes
2 Units of Soffrances

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:25 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

quite a fine looking family :)

I hope one day they can battle my Scottish peasants

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:54 am 

A fine looking army, sir! I would like too see an entire army group shot, if it's not too much trouble. :)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:59 am 

Thanks,
I still need to put an Anti-Shine Varnish on the Cavalry so will take a group shot then. If not I will try and get some in action shot on Saturday.
My William Wallace has taken his Scottish peasants army with merc back up against them a few times now, so far the Scottish are winning :lol: but Whiskymac Mangonal's have arrived now, so things maybe a bit more even next time 8-)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:43 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

UtherDracus wrote:
Thanks,
I still need to put an Anti-Shine Varnish on the Cavalry so will take a group shot then. If not I will try and get some in action shot on Saturday.
My William Wallace has taken his Scottish peasants army with merc back up against them a few times now, so far the Scottish are winning :lol: but Whiskymac Mangonal's have arrived now, so things maybe a bit more even next time 8-)

when you're English Army has several units of long Bowman it makes them a hard to beat against any other human force. You can also beefed-up the initiative and fatigue prevention with items, with two long Bowman and accomplish similar results.

I really like the fact that the armies perform according to historical records .

I would love to hear a battle report summary of your Scottish peasants against the English
Crown. In every game that I played where the Scottish have won it was a narrow win with great casualty sacrifice to accomplish, and I had two units of Spearman and two units of swordsmen beefing up the multiple units of peasants.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:42 am 

My plan is to use a Scottish peasants army in Saturdays tournament so I will give a breakdown of the army and how well it did after that as all my opponents read the forum except for maybe Whiskymac who has helped me test it. :lol:
I agree that the battles have been close but in a 1000pt army it is hard to get 2 units of bowmen in so 2 Mangonal V 1 unit of bowmen has been giving the Scots the win. Thats why he has invested in Mangonal ready for Saturday and the other army's. ;)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:28 pm 

Nice big army. The Army painter technic looks like a really effective method to paint big armies.

I can still make out some moldlines on the serjants and hobelars horses, to late as you already painted them.. ;)

Are you planning on adding something to the bases? Sand, grass or some turfs would give them some realism.

Lord Ok

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:03 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

UtherDracus wrote:
My plan is to use a Scottish peasants army in Saturdays tournament so I will give a breakdown of the army and how well it did after that as all my opponents read the forum except for maybe Whiskymac who has helped me test it. :lol:
I agree that the battles have been close but in a 1000pt army it is hard to get 2 units of bowmen in so 2 Mangonal V 1 unit of bowmen has been giving the Scots the win. Thats why he has invested in Mangonal ready for Saturday and the other army's. ;)

I never give the Scots English Bowman (the fluff will not allow me) , I use cross Bowman in the Scottish army as they are low born and they also protect the peasants from missile fire ( even though there's little historical evidence supporting that).

Almost always play the Scottish army defensively so I don't have a lot of movement to worry about bogging down the cross Bowman

One extra row of tiles can make a big difference in any game using catapults. Otherwise they are just not worth the points to use in less you double their initiative with equipment items/

almost all my games I play on a 6 deep 8 across tile, and of course I don't play small point armies, because without several elements and a solid core of footmen the outcome of the battle is more about chance or fudging the system than strategic skill . As if you lose one or two key elements game over . for example in a starter against starter concentrate all your effort on taking out their billmen and FC save your billmen and FC for the endgame and you can win every time, or whatever side place more defensively usually wins it's far too predictable. But on a larger battlefield with more men where you have several engagements taking place room to flank and run around the enemy, then the military strategy of the good general will almost always consistently win.

I play legendary, to get the maximum skill options, or my favorite "anything goes" where you can bluff with low-level,units and have a few elite units that pack a real punch.

the key to playing anything goes is to have a guideline for the muster like. General highest level possible, one unit supporting general level 55, two elite units level 50 , all other units no higher than 40 but you can have units as low as you choose. And then enough points to make the game interesting.

If both sides have larger armies the players strategy has much more weight in the outcome of the game, and the loss of a few units doesn't turn the tide.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:31 am 
Bleeding Edge Knight

I especilally like the mendicum.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:32 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

MadNes wrote:
I especilally like the mendicum.

I agree some of the nicest ones I've seen

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:28 pm 

@Lord Ok. Thanks I though I had got all the moldline but it looks like i misses the last two units to be added :( . That is upto Whiskymac, he Is still thinking about how he wants the bases to look.

@yosefbender. The English Bowman were in the English army. We mostly play in the Tournaments here so go with armies sized to that points.

@MadNes and yosafbender Thanks I quit like how the mendicum came out although the dip is quit thick in some of the wrong places. I have been reading up on some of the ways to use the dips and I should be able to avoid it next time.

OfflineProfile