It is currently Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:02 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Important: Getting ready for the 11th
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:58 pm 

First, if the investor goes through, can we have some form of contact email , so we can say thank you.

and wolly. Can you pretty please make a few select and well trusted people forum mods, so we can delete the spam as we see it! =) saves you the work.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:48 pm 

C.williams wrote:
and wolly. Can you pretty please make a few select and well trusted people forum mods, so we can delete the spam as we see it! =) saves you the work.

Agreed, more moderators would be nice

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:18 am 
I could not be a traitor to Edward, for I was never his subject.

Good news! The proposition has been accepted and approved by the judge. Bastion 2.0 is born, with a new investor. There will be quite a lot of changes, but it can only be for the good of Ex illis! We will be finalizing our battle plans and we will come back to you on thursday about what will be Bastion 2.0 :)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:25 am 

While I am glad to hear it. The "quite a lot of changes" has me a bit nervous. hopefully Thursday will put my fears to rest.

P.S.Forum registration needs to be fixed.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:15 pm 

The game definitely needs a lot of changes. If I am the new owner, I would do the following:
1. Allow online play between players like vassel modules so that one can play with another oversea and from a distance. It is not easy to transport all the miniatures from one place to another.
2. Pre-set battleground. It is too labour intensive to put in extra terrain features like building but a fixed battlegroud is easier. All the players need to do is to log into that module to play.
3. Allow people to purchase extra activation codes. On the other hand, you still want people to buy your miniatures. One way to get around it is to have a limitation on the purchased codes. The units bought cannot be regenerated. If they die in a battle, they will be gone. Or, they cannot gain experience. On the other hand, units that are activated through purchases of the actual product will stay forever and have their levels increased with time. You want to have a "cash cow".
4. Develop a campaign system online. Players will love to fight to be the king of England.
5. More miniatures please. You need to develop something for beginners and amateur painters. Undead and ghost armies will be interesting. I would hold off the Mongols for now. It is hard to revise the rules and setting to reflect its strategy and tactics on the battlefield. Instead, having Muselims on the table will be nice. They used similar weapons and armors as the crusaders. Just be careful with your story. A sword sticking into the heart of Muhammad will certainly guarantee a permanent death warrant from Iran.
Finally, can yo please fix all the existing problems on the server? Thanks.
Just my two cents

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:19 pm 

I agree the campaign would be nice.

Also being able to "save" battlegrounds would be cool and take out some of the time. We just grab it and randomize it to make it quicker.

More units for sure, Demon hero and Daemon Hordes asap. Then some German stuff as there are already German factions and special rules that affect Germans.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:22 pm 
Lead Spammer / Spammeur en chef

If you enable online play, you'll get the problem of "what are th minis for?" well, then, nothing

a saved battleground would indeed be extremely nice

for the code limit, the problem is xhere to put the limit

the campaign system would be awsome, but needs online play, thus problem 1

Of course, you need minis, and fast

Part du principe que j'ai toujours raison, tu gagneras du temps
Life is a game, play it your way

http://ex-illis.com/wikipl/Category:Cadwe

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:24 pm 

Seeing as how Daemon hordes are made, ready and able to be shipped I expect we will see those very soon.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:28 pm 
Lead Spammer / Spammeur en chef

and the hero deamon, you could show us pics. I'm thinking of a nice way to do online games, when i manage it i'll post it :D

Part du principe que j'ai toujours raison, tu gagneras du temps
Life is a game, play it your way

http://ex-illis.com/wikipl/Category:Cadwe

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:31 pm 

Agreed, showing us the Demon hero would be a nice treat and a great way to show potential new players, retailers, etc that there is a future in the works.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:36 pm 

Can we ask as a com , who have stuck by you, to post a model plan, and stick to it.....:D

So happy you guys are back!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:39 pm 

That's a good idea Williams. Model plan would be a really good idea and show the future of the game. At the least like a 6 months outlook.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:50 pm 

Fully of ideas baby ;)

I for one think demonic rabbits should be next!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:30 pm 

While it would be great for them to tell us, "Hey, there's going to be a model release every month," I would be wary on their part to make any statements about a set release schedule as things can always happen to gum up the works, and it would be bad for them to give the fanbase anything to be disappointed about right now.

I'm sure one of their objectives here is going to be getting product out as fast as possible, yet still in a manner in which they hope suits their business model. I know personally I would love to see one or two kits per month, but I also don't know what works best for Bastion.

As far as buying codes go, I can't see that happening. As much as some of the fans want it, all it would do is allow people to play the game without models at a slightly lower price. Or people would play with their pre-existing models from other games. It would only support the negative belief that the game can be played without models.

So would online play, as much as I hate to admit it. Trust me, I would love to get in games with my buddy who is currently halfway around the country. We've tried it before, and it's possible, but it's tough to do. Still I can't imagine it's in any of Bastion's plans for the near future.

I know they talked about an online ranking before, and that's great. So is the idea of being able to pre-set maps to play on, and save favorites.

Also, I'd personally like to see more previews of what is coming. Obviously, you don't want to steal the thunder from what the current release might be, but giving us teasers of what is next maybe a week or two after every release could help build some steam.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:34 pm 

I agree online play and codes would be a bad idea.

I also agree that having the previews would be a really good idea. That is one thing that FFG does very well. They constantly have previews of what is coming out on a regular basis for their many games.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:47 pm 

Miami wrote:
As far as buying codes go, I can't see that happening. As much as some of the fans want it, all it would do is allow people to play the game without models at a slightly lower price. Or people would play with their pre-existing models from other games. It would only support the negative belief that the game can be played without models.

I think you have not considered all aspects and come to the conclusion too soon. If the codes you buy online can only allow you to purchase units that cannot gain experience or have one time use or dies after being wiped out, I don't see how it will affect the growth of this game. For example, if you can buy a unit of Vilein online at level 1 at 1/10 of the cost only to find you that it will not last more than a battle, do you still want to waste money on something that is so short-lived?

Don't forget. You can proxy whatever game you want at home including WHFB or 40K as long as you are not in a sanctioned tournament. This game actually does not need to be played with models. I have been doing practice battles on ipad alone many times without setting up the table and miniatures. Indeed, for a size of 4x5, it is not necessary.

On the other hand, tournament is set for lvl 10. If the codes you can buy online can only allow you to field lvl 5 troops, I only see how it would affect ranking and online competition.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:09 pm 

Would their be like a job opening for a Uk sales rep ? :D haha

Also A email should be sent to all Players of the game reminding them of the news, since many have slipped away!

I know madness will be the happiest of us all that the game is back, he was the most supportive and proud Ex illis player out of us all :D and should have a model cast in his image!... well you get the point.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:29 pm 

Certainly some good news! Really happy for Bastion and everyone involved.

Can't wait until Thursday to hear about the plans!

Gebus

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:26 pm 

I have considered such things.

Hands down the biggest argument against this game I have heard is that people think it can be played without the minis, and so buying into such a game would be a waste of money. While I firmly believe that is not the case and by not using minis greatly reduces the experience of the game (or any other table top wargame- as you said, you can proxy any of them, most with pieces of paper if need be!) to offer online codes to allow people to play the game without minis would only further that belief.

Personally, I was worried when they started allowing full army trials of the game. I am curious how many people decided to download the software and try the game using the trial units, and were turned off by a less-than-full experience because they did not use minis at all. It was a dangerous move on Bastion's part.

An online code that sells a temporary unit (one that might die after one use) probably wouldn't sell well when set against a free trial unit, especially since that unit works just like a regular unit during the trial period, and can become a real unit if it is purchased within the allotted time.

My general understanding is the reason most people want to be able to buy a code and not a unit is so that they can either use models that appeal more to their personal aesthetic, or so that units can be pieced together using the extra parts in kits. I can't imagine people would be happy if these units never leveled up, or died off after one or two games. Not to mention how that might affect one's playstyle if they knew that if X unit died, it would be gone forever.

It is something that would be great for a lot of people in an ideal situation, but in the long run I can't believe it would ever work to Bastion's benefit to do such a thing. Believe me when I say I have considered the idea quite a bit, and I simply just disagree with you.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:14 pm 

I'm glad Bastion is back in business. :D

My wish list is as follows:

Minis for other factions - Germans, Papal and Spanish please.
Offline muster builder.
Offline play allowing loading of armies from a portable file exported from muster builder. This would be good for areas with no internet. The current set up is not conducive to pickup games unless you have wifi at the game store or a convention site. This would also allow one to play indefinately if the unexpected happened, like the company goes bust. Maybe there can be some incentive plan to log in every so often for updating software, levelling up at major levels, sync musters with server as backup or it's the only way to get treasure or advanced game play, etc.

I would like to be able to piece together minis from bits. I'm not sure how the activation code thing might work, but it's last on my list. You can only patch so many different unit types from the bits, from what I can tell, like an angelic/demonic warrior munk. Maybe only those who have purchased those other boxes are allowed to activate a unit from bits. Or after so many purchases, you get a free activation code for unit of choice for when you buy units from others.

Following the above theme, you should be able to "gift or sale" units to others rather than Brother in arms.

None of these ideas harm the bottom line of Bastion, but only encourages more purchases and unique army customization.

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:16 pm 

Very nice!

If we talk about wishes, I think the game needs less "deep" changes, but a few smaller ones. I really hope for an european, better a german seller. If so, we could start again thinking about a demo table at the german RPC this year. We'll see, there is not much time 'till then, and of course we can't show people a game, that needs to be imported from out of europa (I think I wrote about this problem somewhere else). Well, we'll see what happens, I think the game can work without major changes, it just needs to be more easy to buy. Some other things I would like is a better advertisement, lot of people don't know more about the game than the "for what I need miniatures" argument. The idea of activating units is good, but people should be able to use different miniatures for the game. So there should be the option of getting (free?) activation codes without having to buy miniatures. I am really looking forward to ExIllis Vol.2!

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:43 pm 

William Wallace wrote:
Good news! The proposition has been accepted and approved by the judge. Bastion 2.0 is born, with a new investor. There will be quite a lot of changes, but it can only be for the good of Ex illis! We will be finalizing our battle plans and we will come back to you on thursday about what will be Bastion 2.0 :)

YAY!! :D We should get the life back into this community again! I know that sounds odd coming from someone who's posted maybe once before. :oops: But should send a message to whoever is responsible that we're glad someone isn't letting this ball drop.

And WW, thanks for letting us all now each step of the way what you could, all us players really appreciate it.

II Kings 6:16

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:55 pm 

Craddoc wrote:
, better a german seller.

Ay, we brits ave been waiting a while for a Seller too you know! we had nothing!
Uk market first laddy ;)

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:19 pm 
Bleeding Edge Knight

[quote="wildger"]The game definitely needs a lot of changes. If I am the new owner, I would do the following:
1. Allow online play between players like vassel modules so that one can play with another oversea and from a distance. It is not easy to transport all the miniatures from one place to another.

yes I agree that this is needed as I like playing my friends who I only know online

2. Pre-set battleground. It is too labour intensive to put in extra terrain features like building but a fixed battlegroud is easier. All the players need to do is to log into that module to play.

do not agree with this one as I play campaign games where I need to make the field but what I would like is to be able to save your battlefield and even have a way others could use it in there games

3. Allow people to purchase extra activation codes. On the other hand, you still want people to buy your miniatures. One way to get around it is to have a limitation on the purchased codes. The units bought cannot be regenerated. If they die in a battle, they will be gone. Or, they cannot gain experience. On the other hand, units that are activated through purchases of the actual product will stay forever and have their levels increased with time. You want to have a "cash cow".

not I see the see the benefit of this one , you already have the opportunity to trial units that you can play with for a time dose that not serve the same purpose ??

4. Develop a campaign system online. Players will love to fight to be the king of England.

that was something they were already working on :)

5. More miniatures please. You need to develop something for beginners and amateur painters. Undead and ghost armies will be interesting.

there is lots of minis they have planed , but the process they have chosen is much more costly for the molds , so make hero's in metal like all the other company did to get where they are. till the volume call for plastic this would save money , and for the units they can expand on there good idea with a few extra pieces you could have a box set that could be more than two units (like spear-men and sword-men) thus the cost of one mold could make three of four units types.

what could also have more in line with your previous idea is a very generic unit that can co in several directions you buy the set then online choose the weapon, and skills for that unit to make a very custom unit the program let you choose from a wide verity of skills for each level , then it compiles that for your muster .

I would hold off the Mongols for now. It is hard to revise the rules and setting to reflect its strategy and tactics on the battlefield. Instead, having Muselims on the table will be nice.

both are planed ;)

They used similar weapons and armors as the crusaders. Just be careful with your story. A sword sticking into the heart of Muhammad will certainly guarantee a permanent death warrant from Iran.

may be if you had the Maddi hero figure lv 80 then they would be happy ;)
but if they ever come out with the Mad Rabbi they would know it is a Zionist plot to take over the world with plastic miniature
s

OfflineProfile  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:28 am 

C.williams wrote:
Craddoc wrote:
, better a german seller.

Ay, we brits ave been waiting a while for a Seller too you know! we had nothing!
Uk market first laddy ;)

Hmm... We could meet in the middle with a french seller, or we just wait for more than one seller in europa. I think this would be the best idea! ;)

I have read a lot of postings saying, that we need more miniatures, but I have to disagree here. There are quite a lot different units availible, I think the money should be spend more into to gaming itself (so people would like to start the game and do not only complain about the computer thing). The game does not get better if there are 5 oder 10 new units, I think the two point for most people are, that you need the internet for your army list (people think they need the internet all the time if they want to play) and that you don't need the figures to play the game. So the computer part needsmore work, the advertisement needs more work (no one knew about the new browsergame-like economic system) and the point computer game <--> tabletop needs more work, most people think, that this cannot work and - to be honest - it does not work perfectly, because you really can play without miniatures. Not very good, but it is possible.
Putting all money in new miniatures will bring us back where we were: Lots of miniatures, no one qho buys them and after a while, the money is gone.

OfflineProfile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next